A Shimano-less Overburys Rebuild

jazzibizznizz

Retro Guru
So, this is the bike I want to re-build.

It is a 1989ish Overburys Pioneer. I bought it in 1989 or 90, (from a guy who I later found out had crashed it before selling it to me - I sent it back to Overburys, and they brazed a small piece on the under-side of the down tube). I was living on the Isle of Wight at the time, but moved away to Sheffield to start University (well, Polytechnic as it was back then) in 1991, and gradually let life and kids get in the way of riding it and looking after it properly. It sat in the cellar of various houses until recently, when I got it out, fell back in love with it and decided to get it going again. Is this a mid-life crisis? Hey, isn't that why we're all here? Well, it's either I do this or I start chasing 6th form girls, and believe me, nobody wants to see that.

You see, now I am a little more able to get the bike I wanted back then. My Grand Vision was always for a Shimano-free bike. As a 17 year old indie kid, I guess I saw Shimano as 'The Man', so my own little rebellion was to try not to have anything by them on my bike. And I succeeded! Almost - the crank arms were Shimano, but other than that I was there. The shifters and rear mech were the recently introduced Campagnolo Centaur, front mech, hubs and rear roller-cam were Suntour XC (can't remember if it was Pro or 9000) , Dia Compe front cantis and levers. I recently got a Centaur chainset, so the bike is now free of The Man.

Stuff to do is:

Re-spray. Look in any of my school exercise books from when I was in 6th form, and the borders will be full of doodles of a red, black and yellow colour scheme that I had in mind. Probably a job for next spring.

New headset and seat post. I always liked the Mavic 306 headsets - nice splash of colour. And I always liked fluted seat posts - they've always been popular on road bikes but never really took off on mountain bikes, but I always thought they looked nice.

Pace RC30s. Yes, classic forks. Maybe it's a Yorkshire connection, now I'm living up here, but right from the first pictures I saw of those things in MBUK they were on my wish list.

And more Campag would be nice, but will have to see about that.

So that's where we are. I will keep you posted....

Attachments

• WP_20150708_08_50_42_Pro (478x640).jpg
    WP_20150708_08_50_42_Pro (478x640).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,800
Re:

Always nice to see a 'new' Overbury's show it's face :)

A sound build plan you have there. Since you still have it though, it would seem like a bit of a shame to not retain the original fork.

Here's the repair. It seems like they have brazed a small triangular piece wrapped around the down tube below the join with the head tube. It was my dad who dealt with Overburys in sorting the repair, and he can't remember what they told him they did. I'm hoping to get it re-sprayed soon, so when it all gets shot blasted I can have a proper look and see what's going on.

Attachments

• WP_20150917_14_43_28_Pro (640x427).jpg
    WP_20150917_14_43_28_Pro (640x427).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,714
Back