1991 Authier (by Ferraroli) Taxi

thekidmalone

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hello everyone,

It's not often that a brand's entry-level product ends up being the iconic item within their product line. When high-end ski brand Authier introduced mountain bikes in the early 1990s to create a counter-seasonal balance to their core wintersports business, that's exactly what happened, at least in their home market here in Switzerland. Relatively few remember that Authier made skis, much less bikes, but many remember the "Yellow Cab" mountain bike.

I would someday love to hear the story about how a Swiss ski brand, whose brand identity was closely associated with a British jet fighter (de Havilland Vampire - see head tube decal), decided to decorate their entry-level mountain bike as a yellow New York City taxi cab.

Authier relied on Ferraroli, a premium Swiss partner with extensive MTB experience, to source and spec their bikes. Authier followed Ferraroli's tradition of using nearly as many Shimano parts as possible, down to the headset, toe clips and spoke protector. The original spec was full Deore LX, but I swapped out the STI levers, rear derailleur and pedals to Deore DX items I had on hand.

As you can see from the pictures, this one came to me with a seized seat post. For those in a similar fix with an aluminum post in a steel frame, I thoroughly recommend Finish Line's Chill Zone product. I removed the seat QR, turned the bike upside down, removed both seat tube water bottle bolts, and sprayed the chemical into the seat tube until frost appeared on the outside of the tube. The aluminum post shrank more rapidly than the steel frame, making it child's play to twist out the post.

Has anyone else ever seen an Authier mountain bike? Their other model names were Up N' Down, Fifties, Le Grand Bleu, Discovery, Alzasca and Vampire. Entry- to mid-level models like this one were built in Japan, and the high-end models were silver-brazed, painted and assembled in Switzerland by Ferraroli.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Taxi 1.jpg
    Taxi 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,122
  • Taxi 3.jpg
    Taxi 3.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,119
  • Taxi 5.jpg
    Taxi 5.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,120
Very cool! I tried to buy one of these about 5 years ago locally-it was a bit unusual as I am in Vermont, USA. We have a lot of ski resorts here and I always wondered if there was some connection. It was a full Deore group (like your rear mech) as you said. I wanted to buy it desperately but the owner wanted too much. I didn't think i'd see another in such nice condition until you posted. Thanks!

Re:

As a point of interest - not that it makes any difference to this bike - I used to have a pair of Authier skis, back in the late eighties. They were very similar to the Dynastar Omeglas 2 skis in construction and charactersitics ... being very light and 'flighty' ... but that lightness made them easy to flick around in the bumps and a pleasure to carry over ne's shoulder, on those big powder/back country hiking afternoons.

I ended up dropping one of mine in a treed section on an especially deep powder, mid-winter day, and it wasn't until all the snow had melted when I hiked back up that mntn in the following June, that I found it again. Other than a bit of rust marring on the edges, the ski was still in great shape, even after all that time out in the forest.

Authier!

Re:

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

If you look closely at this period Authier advertisement, the phone number has an 802 area code: Vermont, my home state!

Shogun700, I suspect that the Authier MTB which you saw there originally belonged to an employee of the Authier USA offices. Many wintersports brands had/have USA offices in Vermont.

The holy grail of Authier mountain bikes is the Vampire model, which in addition to having a Swiss-made, silver brazed frame and top components, also was collapsible, like a Ritchey BreakAway frame, and came with its own custom travel case. At some point, I will scan and post the Vélo Vert (French language) magazine article about it.

Cheers,
The Kid

Attachments

• pirmin 2.jpg
    pirmin 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,980
Re:

What a cool bike. Not seen an Authier before so thanks for sharing.
Loving the Taxi Cab paint work too...

Re: Authier Taxi bike

I still have my Authier taxi bike...couldn't part with it, but doesn't get any use these days. Bought it new in 1993? in Waitsfield, Vermont. Loved it! Had skis too, but I donated them about 5 years ago.

Back