Panterae - 2 become 1 become...?

StealthDJ

Dirt Disciple
After my last little jaunt into the hills, various parts of my body are reminding me that I'm no longer 17 and that a fully rigid bike is maybe not the best idea any more. Especially one as rigid as a Pantera with Project 2 forks fitted.

With that in mind, I'm looking at suspension options that won't ruin the geometry too much, but will take the edge off the lumps and bumps when riding - 40-60mm max travel and reasonable quality. Either that or a flexstem, but I seem to remember they were stupidly heavy?

What options do I have? I'm not necessarily worried about age-correct, just performance and fit. And no, I'm not buying another bike instead. I like this one :)

Assuming there are options, anyone got anything for sale?

Tony

Re: Suspension options for a '92 GT Pantera

Follow-up - sorry, this was meant to go in 'general chat'. If anyone could move it, it'd be much appreciated.

Or I could just add pictures later, I guess...

Re:

Hmm. Maybe a bit more travel that I'm after. The '92 *really* wasn't designed with suspension in mind, so the smaller the axle to crown height, the better.

What year's yours? I have a teal 94/5 model in addition to the ORANGE '92. The mental orange colour was always my favourite, though.

This is my son's so a small frame which is why the forks look large. I think they are 80mm travel and the bike is 95/96.

2 other thinks to consider are the GT forks are more giving than the P2's and running deep tyres will provide more cushioning. These are 2.10's but have a higher volume than most - as big as some 2.3's

I have a spare GT fork if you are interested.

Orange was certainly the best colour ever for the Pantera :) What about some Rockshox Mags or Pace RC35s? ( The Paces would look fantastic but won't work as well as a set of Air oil mags. )
Show us some pics of your bike then :)

Re:

The terrible two:

94/95 teal blue. I won an ebay auction for the frame, which came with forks, bars, v-brakes, shifters, stem and saddle for about 50 quid about 7 years ago. I built the rest up with bits I had knocking about, plus more ebay work - hope/mavic wheels came that way, as did the Race Face turbines, DX levers, and XT bits and bobs. It's not pretty, but it's built like a brick outhouse and works flawlessly - never had a missed shift or dropped chain, though the bars creak in an entertaining manner.

IMG_0590.jpg

8F1BDE3A-B7CD-4336-A16C-FC4AAE261909.jpg

30981FCE-249B-42CE-9F11-3E97CFCDD100.jpg

92 red/orange (don't know the official colour name, but it's *bright*. The pictures never do this colour justice). This was what I was really after - my original that I bought brand new was stolen some time back in the 90s. This one's an utter mongrel, but it only cost me 35 quid on ebay and at least it came with the original Deore LX front and rear mech. Crank would have been 500LX originally in UK spec, but don't think this one is. Nothing else original on it, which is a shame - I'd have liked the original stem and forks. The suspension forks on this have way too much travel for the frame, so they're going. The aim is to make something as light as can be achieved with that frame, without going mental - just decent bits and pieces, probably quite a few robbed from the blue one. If I could get the original decals, I'd be tempted to get it repainted, but it seems no-one has them. Such is life.

92_Pantera_1.jpg

92_Pantera_2.jpg

92_Pantera_3.jpg

92_Pantera_4.jpg

92_Pantera_5.jpg

92_Pantera_6.jpg

92_Pantera_7.jpg

Aren't mags daft money these days? A set of RC35s would be nice - they seem to go for about £150 though, which is no small amount of cash for something that may or may not be completely worn out.

Bullpup - that's quite tempting actually, especially as you're pretty close to me. How much were you wanting for them?

Tony

Re:

i have these forks for sale at the mo, recently rebuilt and work flawlessly

Attachments

• p5pb12136788.jpg
    p5pb12136788.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 962

I saw that build - it's lovely. I'd love a Zaskar, but the Pantera has the memories... :)

Back