Raleigh Appalachian rescue

CezarB

Old School Hero
Another 'rescue', was going to get scraped at a local bike co-op because of a dent on the top tube but if you followed my other topics I don't care for aesthetics too much as long as it's functional. The dent doesn't appear to be a danger so ahhh well. :LOL: I took it mainly because it will be a good fit for me at 19" centre bb- top of seat tube. Also, I couldn't say no to a 531 frame, anything is better than my current. Lastly, those colours!!

There is a LOT of surface rust but it feels like it's too far to bother touching it all up. I'm leaving it rat rod style.
First problems was a cracked non-drive side crank(anyone got a tatty spare FC MT60?) and a headset cup that was cracked in 3 places, it's a Deore XT unit as far as I know. Other than the dent the frame is sound and straight as far as I checked.

Raleigh Appalachian by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
IMG_1338 by CezarsBikes, on Flickr
IMG_1326 by CezarsBikes, on Flickr

Plan is to built it up and get it running as soon as possible not to keep it original. The condition is far too bad to try and rebuild it to factory spec. Will be fun!

Re:

Signing in for updates, good to see another one getting rescued. Link to my Appalachian build in my signature, it looked pretty similar when I got it.

Re: Re:

DynaCol":1j97g2qh said:
Signing in for updates, good to see another one getting rescued. Link to my Appalachian build in my signature, it looked pretty similar when I got it.

I have seen yours and jealous isn't enough to describe it!! It's amazing, min definitely will not reach anything near that but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is

Re:

I am half way through a Raleigh 531 build myself ( a Moonshine) so am signing in to see what you do with this!

Great rescue by the way :cool:

Re: Re:

CezarB":2x7a8i2p said:
I have seen yours and jealous isn't enough to describe it!! It's amazing, min definitely will not reach anything near that but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is
Very kind of you to say, it was the most effort I've put in to a build so far to get it spot on. Regardless it's about bringing these bikes back in to use though. Ohh and if you do decide to get it re-painted Harry Lloyd have the decals courtesy of my efforts re-drawing the buggers! :LOL:

All ways nice to see another Raleigh getting some love, signing up to see what you do with it.

Looks a worthy project
Get on with it

AND DONT EVVER REPAINT IT , EVER

Mike

Back