Dave Lloyd 753

Giom6

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Been waiting a long time to post this one up - and today is the day :D

Some of you might remember this one come up on the chat forum as somebody only bought it for some of the XT components on it :? I was an early bird and made an offer for the frame and forks if it ever came up for sale – I mean, when do you see a Lloyd 753 come up...

Anyway, the frame and forks ended up coming my way and it was full steam ahead on a full refurbishment. I got Argos on board as I thought they would be the best guys to implement what I wanted. I can say now that they aren't the cheapest but we worked together and produced and brought back to life what I think is a top notch frame.

It was in a very sorry state and after a initial check a few of the tubes needed replacing as they were just shot and then the paint work began...that was nearly a years ago now but it was well worth the wait :D :D :D

I'll let the pictures do the talking now....

Before:

During:

Influence:

More later.... ;)

Re: Re:

dnbmatt28":3ftsnuuc said:
Yes! Sounds like you are staring at the finished article?! What did you have to replace?
What didn't :? ...

Top tube was shot because the internal cabling had started to corrode around the edges and water was sitting inside the top tube, seat tube had to go because there were a few holes near the bottom bracket and both rear stays had to be changed as they had been repaired before, had new holes in and were too thin :oops:

Not much left after that....

...but looking good as new now :) :D

I'll upload more pictures in a minute...

Re:

That Cats Wiskas is one of my all time favourite bikes.Ever.
Your bike is looking good too.

:shock:

I certainly can't fault your dedication to the cause. :mrgreen:

At what point does a frame become 'not worth the effort' in your opinion?

Re:

Right – paint!

I wanted to match the Cats above as closely as I could but because of the lack of any hi-res images of it, along with Argos, we matched the colours and used other references to copy the chevrons, chrome and decals.

The rear stays were chromed first and then the base undercoat of pearl silver. After that the graphite colour was added on the rear stays and the two base colours.

The chevrons were next to be added and there was a fair bit of discussion until we settle on the below :) We couldn't match the rear stays because of the poor quality of photo but definitely happy with what we came up with

Finished frame up soon...

firedfromthecircus":ahde1pkh said:
:shock:

I certainly can't fault your dedication to the cause. :mrgreen:

At what point does a frame become 'not worth the effort' in your opinion?
This one was definitely worth the effort.

Bit of a unicorn for me and how many do you see of these...?

Re:

Wicked, those colours are right up my street, I would be 100% happy with the job they have done there, well done!

Re: Re:

dnbmatt28":3oblgi7d said:
Wicked, those colours are right up my street, I would be 100% happy with the job they have done there, well done!
You should see the finished article in the flesh :cool:

Back