1994 GT RTS1

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1994 GT RTS1

Having had this frame for a few years now, and with the arrival of the fork crown enabling me to finally fit the correct forks, it's high time I put this thread together.

To start with, it was always the plan to build using XT M737 like the original factory spec, but with the addition of a few bits of titanium here and there.

I had always planned to use mag 21 SL titanium forks but they don't come up often and the only ones I could find were too short in the steerer for the Syncros Stem. I still bought some anyway, via easyrider, just to have and loaned them to my Parkpre 825.
In the meantime I picked up some of the 1st Judy SLs, as they came out late 1994 and would be just about period correct for the build and a lot easier to come by.
The set I got were full of powder, but I was given an unused set of elastomers so fitted those, they lasted for a couple of rides but soon also turned to mush (see the travel on one of the last pics below), not wanting to throw £40 at the forks for new springs the bike was hung up for 6 months, then out of the blue a pair of forks were discovered in the RB for sale section, I put second dibs on them, but had just missed out, for some reason I added a comment that I only needed the steerer. soon after that a PM came through from my teenage self, who was offering the steerer (he had bought the forks) what a gent.

Forks fitted last week, they are not as shiny as they would have been, and some better ones will come up one day, but I think they look much better than the Judys. I just need to replace all the ti bolts on the forks as they were all replaced with steel when I got them.
Also notice that all the linkage bolts on the frame are titanium

Original Catalogue Image

Build Spec
Fork: Rock Shox Mag21 Ti
Headset: Tioga - Alchemy
Stem: Syncros - Cattle Head
Handlebar: GT - Alloy
Grips: Onza - Ulles
Barends: N/A

Brake Levers: Shimano XT M737 Rapid Fire Combos
Brake Arms: Shimano XT M737 Cantilever
Brake Pads: Aztec
Cable Yokes [front / rear]: Shimano XT M737
Brake Cables & Outers: Shimano

Gear Shifters: Shimano XT M737 Rapid Fire Combos
Front Mech: Shimano XT M737
Rear Mech: Shimano XT M737
Bottom Bracket: Zero - Titanium
Cranks: Shimano XT M737
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainring [outer / middle / inner] Shimano XT M737
Chainring bolts: Alloy
Pedals: Onza - H.O. Titanium
Cassette / Freewheel: Shimano XT M737
Chain: Sram - PC870
Gear Cables & Outers: Shimano

Hub [front]: Shimano XT M737 custom titanium axles and bolts
Hub [rear]: Shimano XT M737 custom titanium axles and bolts
Rim [front]: Mavic - 230
Rim [rear]: Mavic - 230
Wheel Binder [front] Titanium Bolt
Wheel Binder [rear] Titanium Bolt
Spokes: DT double-butted
Nipples: DT - Silver Alloy
Tyre [front] Onza - Porcupine
Tyre [rear] Onza - Porcupine
Tubes: Latex Schraeder valve

Seatpost: Kalloy - Black alloy
Saddle: Vetta - SL
Seatpost Binder: GT - factory

Bottle Cage: N/A
Bottle Cage Bolts: Black Alloy

Some Pics taken August 2014 (yes that is a donkey)

A few images taken over the last couple of years

Gisburn Forest

Penmachno Forest

Cathedral Quary (Lake District)

Re:

All of the yes - the only GT I ever liked and that's probably the best one I can imagine, superb :D

I've never noticed the brake cable hanger on the swing arm very cool and it looks better in its near ordinal spec man .

Nice! I like the black frame, is it anodised? What fork are you running now? The Mag 21 Ti, or the Judy?

Really lovely!

It's a shame that the Mags have gone that way - mine were exactly the same :( I've not yet found a set that weren't the same, and haven't found any way of replicating the finish either - real shame.

zonoskar":2wautafg said:
Nice! I like the black frame, is it anodised? What fork are you running now? The Mag 21 Ti, or the Judy?

Cheers, The frame is black anodised factory finish, and current forks are the Mag 21 Ti

Back