Introducing me a 1973 and my 1994Saracen Kili Flyer

DrewThacker

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Just thought that this may be the place for us "Veterans" to share our thoughts.

Anyway I'm Drew I used to be a contender on the British MTB circuit back in the 90's. I have just rescued, resurrected and rebuilt my Steed from my Brothers garage.

My younger Brother had in the last ten years dismantled my pride and joy and pure bred race machine for spares for himself. When I got it back all I had left was the Chainset, Frame and seat post (as this has fused in the frame) and Sachs shifters.

This baby has cost me the best part of £500 to rebuild using Ebay to match it as best I could to as I left it. The only compromise is the Forks, Still looking for the Pace Carbon Race Pro's at the right price. They should shave another 200g's off the weight!

1994 Saracen Kili Flyer Frame and a few gucci extra's all coming in at 11.68kg total

Spec as follows

17" Kili Flyer Tange Ultimate Frame
XTR 118mm Bottom Bracket
XT Crank arms to Stronglight and Middleburn Chainrings 28, 42, 48
XT front and rear mechs
Shimano DX V-brakes
Avid Brake Levers
XT 8 speed Cassette
Shimano chain HG-70
Ritchey Comp 1 1/8th headset
Ritchey Comp Stem and Ritchey Titanium top cap
Tioga Bars 640mm with rise
Sachs Powergrip extreme 3x8 Shifters
Ritchey Grips
Rock Shox Judy TT forks
Ritchey WCS Pedals
USE seat post
Selle Italia Seat
Mavic Cross ride rims and hubs 28 spoke front and 32 rear
Specialized Armadillo tyres and Continental tubes

(Bell Flashing rear light)

Attachments

• Cornwall-20140524-00399 (Medium).jpg
    Cornwall-20140524-00399 (Medium).jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 403
Probably my favourite riding frame of those I have had (not many). Supple yet springy. Lovely.

Build is quite different to mine but glad to see it being used and rescued. Welcome to the site by the way.

Re:

Yeah real thoroughbred frame set and still so responsive yet the back end flexes with just the right amount to keep it true and on track without it twitching and getting wayward.

I was quite amazed when I hung it off the scales, for 20 years old its up to two Kilo's ahead of the modern frames/bikes of the same calibre !!!!!! (ok some bits are New and some only a decade old)

When it came to steel tubes.....they really didn't and haven't got better than this beauty.

Cranked 40 miles at the weekend on the cornish coastal path and enjoyed every minute.

Back