Anyone know what this thing is?

wardak

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but have looked and looked for years for information on this bicycle, and thought this would make a good first post... :) I bought it in Heidelberg Germany while stationed there with the US ARMY in 1992. It has K2 Comp-2 decals on it. I bought it brand new, and one of my buddies bought a Comp-3. I've taken it to multiple bike shops in the US over the past 10 years or so and nobody seems to know what the heck it is. Is this thing so uncommon that NObody knows anything about it?

I sent an email with the pics below to K2 and got the following response:

Well, I can tell you that the bike is a 1991 K2 Comp-2 and that it was produced by a company called the Cycle Force Group. Unfortunately, that’s about all of the information that I have on it. The K2 license has changed hands a few times since then, and it looks like a lot of the catalogs/information about anything pre-1998 may have gotten a little lost in the shuffle. It’s kind of a long shot, but I know that Cycle Force is still in business, they may have a little more information than I do. Their web site is cyclefg.com, and their phone number is 515-232-0277.

Sorry that I didn’t have any more information for you, but please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me if there is anything else that I can do for you.

So, anyone else able to help me further, I've gotten nowhere with the Cycle Forge Group side of this yet. Here is a link to a slideshow of some pics of the bike (I know it is filthy, it's been abit neglected) Thanks in advance!

DSC00892-L.jpg

You replied to Your question! :)
You also have PM.
This is 1993 COMP-1

Attachments

• K2 COMP-1.JPG
    K2 COMP-1.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 1,100
I guess I did reply to my own question. :) I do know WHAT it is, but any information beyond just that seems to be like grasping for straws.

I was hoping someone could clue me in on things like.... Is it a common bike for the period in Europe, but not US... Is it a decent bike for its time (I personally love the thing)... Does anyone have any catalog/literature from the time frame?

Call me an information sponge I guess, other than the brand/model of this bike I really know nothing about it. I bought it for transportation while in GE, never figured i'd still have it 21 years later lol!

I can tell you that's it's not a 1991 but a 1992
till they 1992 thay didn't have a comp 1
the toprange was a comp 99 with full XT on it
in 1992 they bring out the comp 1 range starting with deore LX with at the top full xtr

Latest posts

Back