GT Karakoram 1992 - So Far

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Picked this up today, big thanks to the seller, cuz he also to gave me the orignal rear wheel, all in all a tenner.
So spent this afternoon stripping it down, was aware the seatpost was stuck in it, so stripping it down and noticed the barends had crushed the end of the bars, and the grips had cemented themself to the bar, so just cut through the bars, the brake levers are going as they are dia compe X-1's (plastic levers), the RH crank was stuck to the bottom bracket, and even broke one of my crank extractors trying ot remove it, - i cut partly thorugh the arm to see if it would relieve it, and then just hammered it off, (prob didnt need ot cut it, and was surprised how little damage the hammering did - so will have ot replace it) and everything else was removed ok, now to the seatpost, wd40 and 3in1 oil, and the strength of 10 men helped remove the seatpost, and it sounded like it didnt like what i was doing to it by all the creaking it made. And im now stuck on the bottom bracket, everything else removed eventually, just not the damn BB - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26102

So here i am, the frame is in ok nick, usual chips and rust spots, left the BB soaking in 3in1 overnight, and will look to buy one of those butane can blow torches tomorrow to attack the bb tomorrow.

Attachments

• 4882_1.JPG
    4882_1.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,541
  • 4a7f_1.JPG
    4a7f_1.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,541
BB

Whats the problem with the BB? Tried tightening it first? or removing the drive side? the Drive sides are usually easier to get out, being better protected andoften have some lube in there off the chain? Love the Paint Job BTW!

Bottom bracket stuck tight, cant unscrew it. have made sure im unscrewing the correct way, and the plastic cup is knackered, hope ot melt it out

Here's what we do at the LBS I wrench at:

Put lots of Liquid Wrench, WD40 or some other penetrant down the seattube, tap the BB spindle with a hammer a couple of times to speed penetration process. Get your Shimano/Park BB tool and fit it into drive side BB cup (should be metal), use a bolt and large washer inserted into spindle thread to lock BB tool on place, make sure there is no way it can slip out of the cup! Put a large adjustable wrench onto the BB tool and then put 4 feet of scaffolding tube over the wrench handle (We actually use a Park frame bending tool for this, but very few people own such a thing). SECURE THE FRAME! (get a couple of friends to stand on it or something, or clamp it in a sturdy bench vise). Apply constant steady pressure to the scaffold pipe (remember the drive side is a REVERSE thread!), do not 'pump' the pipe, just keep as much steady force on it as you can, it might still take a little while but it will go, and don't worry if it makes a hideous noise when it does, those steel triple triangle frames are nigh-on indestructible. Once you have the BB out you can remove the plastic cup with a blow torch or if you are very careful of the threads, a Dremel. Once you have it all out I would reccommend having the BB threads re-tapped and the BB shell faced. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back