1992 Rocky Mountain Altitude

troje

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Delivered today, on a friday afternoon. There are worse ways to kickstart the weekend.

Some time ago I rediscovered my love for the old steel Rockies, and now this is number five in my basement. Thanks Retrobike! Other than in marriage, this kind of bike polygamy is perfectly legal in this part of the world. However I am sure my wife rather sees me marrying another wife than what I do now, piling up more and more bikes in the basement...

P1010736.JPG

P1010737.JPG

How cool does it look with this set of Mag21s! I knew it was a good thing to keep these forks apart for a future build. I don't even mind the slight colour difference. I'm just amazed how well this Altitude frame has survived the last 21 years. The colours are vibrant and the quality of the paint is just amazing. The decals still look fresh. Contrary to later Altitudes, the decals are lying underneath a layer of blank paint, so that for sure helped preserving this frame during the years.

The serial is RM668. That says it all. It's nice to own an early, handmade Rocky. FluffyChicken pointed my on another Altitude shown on the web, with serial RM666. Just 2 numbers away from this one. What a coincidence.

P1010742.JPG

Details, as with every high end Rocky Mountain frame, are fantastic. It was the first year that Tange Prestige Ultimate was used for the tubing.

P1010738.JPG

Also note the typical single wishbone seatstay. 1992 was the last year that Rocky Mountain applied this typical frame design. My '92 Blizzard is constructed in a similar way. It's a design I really like.

P1010739.JPG

Here's the headtube. It's externally milled, note the reinforcements at both ends.

P1010740.JPG

Sleek, stylish Ritchey dropouts.

P1010741.JPG

So, here's the plan. I have a minty set of XC Pro from the same year lying around. Microdrive 7 speed with thumbshifters, SE cantilever brakes and everything Grease guard. I know Rocky Mountain those days was purely focused on Shimano. So period correct, yes. Catalogue spec, no. I've never seen the joy of building a catalogue spec bike. BITD, bikes were amended and upgraded instantly after purchase. At least I did that, and so did everyone I knew those days.

However Syncros is mandatory. I have a silver coloured Cattleprod that might look well on it. The frame requires the odd 27.0 seatposts, so I need to sacrifice my Blizzard. Luckily I still have a silver Syncros seatpost spare... Else? no clue yet... This build is going to take some time :)

Nice nice nice. Looks like a 19.5"? (and if it isn't, just lie to me). ;)

Looking forward to seeing this ol' girl built up. It's really in excellent condition.

Nice to see it up.

Seems that's also the year they started the slot down detailing on the cable stops, same on the '93 but not done on the '91. Different builders though.
That frame is I believe the first of the powder coats. Hence all yellow then rear end done in red.
Is the bottom bracket left unmilled out where the down tube meets it?

PeteC":15oxpatr said:

Looking forward to seeing this ol' girl built up. It's really in excellent condition.

Thanks! Yes, you're absolutely right, it's a 19.5". It's my size (I'm 6'2") and all my other Rockies are in that size as well.

troje":x4gzqog1 said:
PeteC":x4gzqog1 said:

Thanks! Yes, you're absolutely right, it's a 19.5". It's my size (I'm 6'2") and all my other Rockies are in that size as well.
Technically a 20" if being specific.

FluffyChicken":es0o626t said:
Nice to see it up.

Seems that's also the year they started the slot down detailing on the cable stops, same on the '93 but not done on the '91. Different builders though.
That frame is I believe the first of the powder coats. Hence all yellow then rear end done in red.
Is the bottom bracket left unmilled out where the down tube meets it?

Thanks! I can't see any modifications to the down tube junction with the bottom bracket. What should be a possible tube modification there?

It was a question to you, as I don't know.

The bottom bracket was milled down, creating the two rings. Looking at the picture there just looks to be a raised circle around the downtube on the shell, possibly the same for the seat tube.

Back