My 93 Kona Hahanna

matt68

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
I've my old Kona since new, it's been my on-and-off commuting ride whenever I've been lucky enough to live within bike range of work. Almost decided to get rid of it this spring, but was not feeling so good about the idea of buying a disposable bike (and couldn't quite spring for a titanium Enigma, my dream option) so I've decided to fix the Kona up proper :)

Not looking for authenticity, just want to make my beloved frame into something a bit less scrappy-looking and slick to ride.

Right now the seatpost is fizzing away in caustic soda in the back garden (stuck for 6+ years, tried everything else) and all the bits are removed ready for a powder coat job. So a couple of questions...

Where to Powder coat. Anywhere around SW London / Surrey, or do I have to go to Hackney (Armourtex)?

What do folk do about preventing corrosion inside the tubes... not an issue, or something to worry about?

I'm not sure what to do about wheels. I have Big Fat Mammoth rims on deore hubs from the last time I refurbed, 10+ years ago. Trouble is they're heavy, and I'm not too sure how much rim thickness is left. Options - I could try an amateur rebuild with new rims, or I could try to buy new wheels. Does anyone make wheels to fit an old 7-speed any more? Any recommendations?

Thanks! Pic to follow

Latest posts

Back