First retro build a muddy fox seeker am I mad

Karlos1000

Devout Dirtbag
I am a road biker at heart but love bikes of any shape, size or colour and have a particular love of retro mountain bike stuff which stems from my childhood....

One of my dream bikes was a Muddy Fox Seeker which I could never afford coming from a working class pit village in north east England....

I have now got more cash and the same great taste so decided to buy a seeker to restore and have a few questions and would appreciate the advice of anyone with an obsession for bikes, so all of you ha....

Questions:

Can u still get the decals from the 1989 bike

Is there a colour code or close match if I decided to get it sprayed or even just touched up

I want to use shimano xt m732 or mt62 anyone got any its a real struggle to find...

I am also going to use the bike too so is it worth getting NOS stuff or not???

All advice would come with a virtual man hug and a warm obsessive bikers smile

Thanks

Decals will be hard work but gil_m on here may be able to make a set if you can get pictures.

The metallic purple may also be difficult to find but I don't really know much about paints, the Deore and XT kit is easy to source with plenty on here and eBay, prices are steady and stay fairly boyant. As it's going to be a rider good condition used would be better than NOS as prices are extreme for that.
As the '89 Seeker was a Suntour bike what about an upgrade to XC Comp or Pro, it's more in keeping but is harder to find?
Anyway good luck finding a bike, they do appear from time to time.

Carl.

Cheers for that I already have the bike frame ok needs bit TLC which is need for a touch up pen...

Yes I would have liked to go suntour route but very hard to find and double the price it seems....

as the good Doctor says suntour makes a nice change from that other stuff that works :D

if you go xc comp you'll find that most of it is available pretty reasonably - say 20 for a vgood rear derry, 15 for a front - bits pop up on here and on the auctions.

the cranks are just about identical (prob are in fact) between comp and pro (and ltd / expert)

hubs in pro are plentiful on t'bay and NOS xc cantis are avail from sjs cycles

even cassettes in post '90 are plentiful (from about £8 upward!)

nice to see, yet, another Fox on the prowl here :cool:

And

Great thread, not mad at all, I've got an 89 Seeker, and a frame, future building an urban hack lookalike. Not cos its a bad bike I reckon it will be brilliant I just want to utilised the used and scratched almost unwanted frame. I have some bits in stock but it can't look too posh, as for the other one, it might get a mountain remake, I need cranks and rear mech, so if you end up with excess bits...
Wll most likely build into fantastic riding and looking bike, think of it as a slightly heavier orange clockwork...

Yeah I'd love to see a pic, I have an 88 courier and I nearly bought an 89/90 seeker from Harlow recently - maybe same one? Only the snow stopped me bidding! Collection was going to prove difficult.

Not mad at all, as others have said.

The paint finish on these old muddy foxes seems to be pretty tough, so you might pick one up which is ok cosmetically anyway.

If not, then at least you are in with a chance of a colour match with the '89 seeker. It would be very difficult to replicate the finish on some of the other '89 foxes, e.g. the crackle finishes of the courier comp, pathfinder etc.... How did they do those finishes???

Hope you find one soon!

Andrew

Back