'94 Alpinestars AL-D900, old frame, new parts

ranier

Dirt Disciple
This is my first retro bike build. I picked up the frame from here (thesneaker) after stumbling onto this site looking at old mtb's from back in the day. I always liked the look of the Alpinestars e-stay bikes when I first laid my eyes on one back in the early 90s.

Here's what it looked like when I got it in the mail. Some stuff from the parts bin hung on it to check it out.
photo-14.jpg

I really didn't want to search for period correct parts to get it back into riding order. Instead I put on a mix of parts bin and new parts. The Noleen Crosslink is a NOS fork that I got off fleabay and seems to go well with the frame. The spring rate on the shock is a bit soft, will need to change that out or adjust preload.
IMG_1575.jpg

The bike is set up 1x9 using Sram X.9 triggers and derailleur. A bashwich keeps the chain in check.
IMG_1573.jpg

The Titec H-Bar completes the funky-non standard theme of the bike and a head tube reducer allows for 1 1/8th standard headset and fork.
IMG_1572.jpg

Stopping duties handled by Avid Ti Speed dial levers, Jagwire cables and SD-7 V-brake calipers. The cable routing stops makes for funky cable routing,
IMG_1574.jpg

I'm happy with the end result. Even with the 120mm stem, the cockpit is short. Not helped with the Titec bars. I may try a longer stem to stretch the riding position some.
IMG_1570.jpg

Last pic,
IMG_1568.jpg

My old frame - nice to see it finally built up...

And, yeah, that really does look hardcore on another level... :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Nice ! I like it for the fact that it's built to be different... very refreshing, makes this stands out apart from period correct builds....love the Titec H bars, ever toyed with the idea of putting this bar on my Killer V. It would be comfy with panniers mounted behind for rides. ;)

I do like elevated chainstays, lovin the forks too.
The bars look good and sit well with the bike but i'm not sure I'd like the angle it puts your hands at.
Nice bike though, very nice.

Back