What about tires(tyres)?

Guy With a Ritchey

Dirt Disciple
Just came into an '88 maybe '89 Ritchey Force Comp. Mostly Deore. Has thumbshifters and chainstay u-brake. It's TIG welded not fillet brazed. Rides like a dream. Question is what should i do about tires? Should i get new Z-max'or look for something different that maybe has gumwalls and looks more period correct. Any thoughts appreciated. Also great sight by the way as I love the golden era of MTB.
cheers Guy[/img]

The best advice is look at other peoples' here on the site then buy something you like...

...there is a very nice folding tan wall Onza Aggro available from time to time that, IMHO, would look superb;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0871969030

I have a pair and they are look the mutz nutz :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
if you're going to ride it, bung on new tyres appropriate to your local conditions

by all means get some retro tyres for the pics though.

The other comments are completely correct. If you can't find some appropriately vintage stuff, new Z-Max's are a good all around alternative, especially if you're going to be logging the miles on the bike.

On the retro side

I use some 1991 Wolbers - they're great in mud and snow.

Ritchey Omega/ Alpha bites are good too for on / off road

Back