Cool, classic riser bars and post for '96 Kona

tarkovskij

Retro Newbie
I am refurbishing a Kona Fire Mountain of 1996. The dark green with goldish decals and silverish components. It is with absolute original specs. right now - and even the tyres look mint.

However, I wish to make it att little more comfy to ride, and adapt it a tad to the street life of my hilly, cobble stone city.

Ordered 'upgrades':

Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35

Salsa Lip Lock (gold)

Halo Hex QR's (gold)

Here is where I need the collective assistance of my fellow Retro bikers:

I am looking for a suitable riser bar and seatpost - both in 'silver'. Brands I can think of, but that are rare to find, are Salsa, Kona, Sun Ringlé and Lynskey.

Unfortunately Salsa and Kona only makes components in black nowadays. Ringlé is to hard to find. Lynskey, dito.

Are there any good webshops for retro items of these brands?

What other "cool" brands - easier to find - are there?

Cheers,
Thomas

I mean, is it totally unheard of to ride a 2011 Salsa riser bar since it is black and will not, 100%, match the stem/fork/seatpost etc.?

I don't think it is unheard of, but it is a matter for you to decide whether or not it makes a tasteful colour scheme. Bear in mind though that the frame colours were chosen with silver parts in mind, so with many Kona frames from around that time black parts just don't go.

Good point. It is tough to picture it in front of you - though, by most certainty, a silver bar would be tons better looking for sure.

This is an option (I have been looking out for their seatposts), but a mere 50 cm in lenght seems a bit short (I want 65+!)!

On ebay:

Nitto-B259-Urban-Riser-Handlebar-50cm-CrMo-25-4mm-New-/400236336618?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2ff1d5ea

(Sorry for the inconvenience, i cannot post URL's yet)

I think I've solved it:

I haver never liked flat bars, but yesterday I changed the fairly worn old Kona grips to a new pair of fresh Race Face and now i steers and feels (and looks) like a dream. So I think that this will be a temporary solution until I find the riser bar that I want.

Good, cheap solution!

I had the same problem with my retro ride, I loved the silver straight bars, but wanted a more comfortable ride. In the end I kept the straight bars and purchased a slightly shorter 10 degree polished Thomson stem and now the ride is perfect and still keeps those retro looks - bonus :D

Sounds like a 1995 Forest green metallic mldel you have there.

Some Easton 25.4mm risers wouldn't look stupidly out of place, you might have trouble getting them through the quill stem if they have a lot of rise on them. ;)

Back