1997 GT Timberline project

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Thanks to 1duck I now have a new commute bike project on the go :D

GTTimberlineframe080711.jpg

To cut a long story short, I was getting seriously paranoid locking my Intense up at work and in town so picked up a pretty sorry looking, seat and post-less, GT Aggressor for £50 from the local Cash Generators :oops: a couple of weeks ago. Stickered as a 16" I'd completely forgot about GT's centre to centre measuring so it ended up being too big :roll: . Stripped it down anyway and sold a few of the bits including the frame before spotting 1duck's Timberline ad.

A little tlc and time with a tiny paintbrush touching up the decals has it looking pretty good I reckon. Most of the bits off the Aggressor will transfer over (forks barely move but look quite presentable now they've been stripped to raw), although I'm going for flat bars and purple finishing kit. By tomorrow I should have myself a new shopping bike for not a lot of cash. Oh and check out the flame decals . . .

GTdecals080711.jpg

ooh thats smart
cant beat some flames on a bike

get on with it then

All done now and feels pretty good . . .

Timberline-alldone090711.jpg

Not without its problems though - not enough thread on the steerer unfortunately - not worth paying more than the forks are worth to have the threads extended so I've had to bodge a spacer under the crown race which I've shimmed to fit . . . an excuse to keep an eye out for a nice pair of rigids with a short steerer and plenty of thread I reckon.

I think these young ladies approved :LOL:

Piggies090711.jpg

I'm also looking to put a commuter together that doesn't draw too much attention. The older bikes do the trick and are actually better in many ways. I've got my eyes on an old Nishiki :p

Looks good, I remember my friend having one new bitd.

I've got a pair of GT rigids if your after some?

Cheers both :) .

How much are you after for the forks Ian? I need a 1 1/8" threaded steerer, about 140mm length with 40mm thread - it's a pretty short head tube.

Nice work, have a GT frame myself, though a bit more modern still haven't decided if I should build it or not yet but yours looks good for a commuter. :D

My first proper bike was a Tequesta with the red flame decals, similar to this...would love another one, they look great :D

like the purple highlights on yours

Good to see it back up and running! lovely job by the way, i wouldn't have recognised it as the one that had sat in the back of my mates shed for so long.

If you want forks you can have the ones i took off it? they seem to travel ok...God i feel like a complete ******* trying to sell you the forks that i took off! :LOL:

I thought they would fit another project i had, but they are far too short.

1duck":9qv4w5r3 said:
If you want forks you can have the ones i took off it? they seem to travel ok...God i feel like a complete ******* trying to sell you the forks that i took off! :LOL:

I thought they would fit another project i had, but they are far too short.

He he :LOL: - to be fair they're probably no better (function-wise) than the one's I'm running at the mo', but I've just managed to get a pair of plain black ones with a short steerer from my favourite bankrupt stock supplier on ebay :cool: . I'll post an update once they're fitted.

I love the bike - took the 'scenic route' home today from work and was instantly transported back to the 90's :D - with the crown race spacer though the current forks have more fore and aft travel than up and down :LOL:

Back