Loving comments needed for my Bonty...

Sheffield

Retro Guru
Did the Borrowdale Bash route the other day and encountered a not so lovely encounter with some weekend warriors. If you've done the 'Bash, it was just before the sketchy section (the worst of the rocky, dangerous drop etc) above Rosthwaite.

They mocked my steed as I past them while the clad themselves in all sorts of padding (I only wear lycra while riding) prior to the descent. They were muffled insults under the full face helmets. They questioned my lack of rear-suspension and xc forks and ability to ride the rough. I pointed out I have knees and a backside to absorb the shocks. I almost thought about dropping the saddle as they were, I didn't. I cleared the section (having done it many times), passing another group who dabbed.

I think it wound me up a little that people thought I was going to be crap, just because my bike was old school. Defo going to ditch the front sus for the next time!

P3313090.jpg

P3313086.jpg

That's a marvellous bike! I'd have a race/race lite any day if would only find one in my size..

..and never mind the fools that didn't recognise quality even though it passed them at an arms length ;)

I'd have that anyday...
We have weekend warriors up on the Downs, they look at my Butler as if it was a piece of farm equipment :D

dont give it a second thought......i bet if you had time to explain why you ride that bike, its history,etc they would have time to contemplate it later.......a retro ride requires more skill to pilot properly and they hide behind protective clothing....they will hold a soft spot for their bikes in a few years time......the bonty is stunning by the way!.......the heathens!!!

Lovely Bonty. :cool:
Ignore the fools, they clearly don't know how to Mountain Bike properly...bless em and their scaredy cat protective clothing. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

nice bike

good attitude

all the kit full of shi? sums up some riders

i am just old and fat and love old funky bikes

stubbsy :D

Must admit, I probably wouldn't ride a rigid steed down the descent in question, but front sus is perfectly adequate.

Yeah, I like the Race Lite. I got the Bonty Offroad that was on here awhile back (Delboy), but don't ever ride it, so I suspect I might flog it soon.

I grew up on fully rigid while at Uni in Sheffield; Definitely helped my riding. I'm sure the lads were only having a laugh. I should have stopped at the bottom of the descent to see if they cleared it, next time...

bontrager , thats a funny old guy aint it , rubbish anyway
sell it well if anyone would buy it , and get one of those giant xtc full sussers

and some body armour

sorry

a well ridden bike is a cool thing ,and a cool thing can never be undone

Lovely looking bike, I don't understand some people who think that if it's not new then it's crap. I've only got retro rides and that's how it's staying.

Back