Diamond Back Axis Pro 1993 - Finished 01/03/11

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Okay its like this ......

Had not been feeling the love for the retro thang for a while but thought that 2011 should be the year to give it another go and build an older (than is usual for me) bike.

So at the start of the month I see that CTK has a Diamond Back Axis Pro for sale is a lovely condition. A few PM's later and I have bagged be a new build basis.

After a few exchanges of PM's with resident DB expert Jango it was confirmed that the frame was a 1993 model that was originally supplied with a full M900 groupset :x not the plan I had for the build but hey ho - in for a penny .........

Edit >>>

As supplied by our resident expert (cheers Kev ;-) )

I won't be going full catalog but it'll be close :)

Page9.jpg

Anyhoo, roll on a couple of weeks and I have started gathering parts (list below). The plan is to get all the bits up to the best condition I can before riding it :)

I hope CTK dosen't mind but I have used his pics to start with as I have yet to take any of my own! :oops:

Frame is in incredible condition with just a few marks form usage that will be touched in.

Whilst not uber light I think it will be a good basis for a sensibly light build.

BITD these retailed for £1440 just below the Ti Axis TT so I have high hopes for how it rides etc :LOL: :LOL:

Any way enough waffle here are some pics:

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

Current spec list:

Frame: 1993 frame in 100% True Temper OX Tubing

Fork: Tange Superlight

Headset: Tioga Avenger (looking for a M900 to replace this fella)
Stem: Zoom Competition
Handlebar: Zoom 130
Grips: ODI Attack

Brakes: M900
Brake Pads: M900
Brake Levers: M900

Shifters:M900
Front Derailleur:M901 (as I needed a top pull)
Rear Derailleur: M900
Cassette: M900
Chain: SRAM
Cranks:M900
Chainrings:M900
Bottom Bracket:UN91
Pedals: XT 737 SPuDS

Hub Skewers:M900
Rims:Campagnolo Stheno
Hubs:M900
Tyres:Flavour of the moment IRC's

Saddle: Flite 1993 version with red lettering ooot back
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: TBC Still need on of these .....

All suggestions comment most welcome :)

Bring on the Retro Love :)

➡️ Update 1:

Paint :oops:

IMGP1959.jpg

Mrs LMTTM was the color adviser for this one honestly :LOL:

I did get a funny look from the lady in Superdrug for taking in the forks :roll: :LOL:

➡️ Update 2: Finished!

A couple of pics.

IMGP1993.jpg

IMGP2004.jpg

IMGP1999.jpg

IMGP2001.jpg

Still needs a fine tune and a set up/shake down ride but I think I am there.

Cannot bring myself to use my NOS XTR pads :oops: at the moment but I am sure they will get an outing :LOL:

IMGP1954.jpg

Initial thoughts ....... serious flex in the bars and stem :shock: may need to think about changing them for something sturdier.

Thank you to all that contributed parts. I think my favorite part is the UN91 BB - its soooo smooth :cool: :cool:

Loving M900 stuff. Its expensive for sure, not light but it is good looking :oops: :oops:

Looking forward to this :)

My low end DB Ascent rides really well so this should be fantastic.

So this is the project Mark!

I think I have some ODI Attack Grips and an M900 BB you can have.

Factory rims on these were Araya RM-395s. At least they were on mine.

I rode Diamond Backs exclusively from 1990 to 1994 and owned several Axis in Pro or Team spec plus a TT. They ride great, no suprises given the geometry although were slightly heavy due to the guage of True Temper tubing used.

Grundig93i.jpg

...nice! Same year as my Apex although mine is definitely not original! Would agree about them being slightly heavier than normal but the ride more than makes up for it - hence why I have had mine since new and will never part with it!

I've got a lovely 91 Axis to build up, too.

Same tubing, I think, as yours - True Temper OX.

Need to sort out something with the forks, ideally, it's got some project 2s on, at the moment, but they're the suspension corrected ones, with the gap between crown and race.

That and a rear mech.

Threw me, a bit, that the Axis models had a different diameter seat tube to the other models (my 91 Apex from the same year line-up is different).

Back