1991 Saracen Sahara (winter steed)

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Yet another Saracen... this'll be my ninth build in 3 years! :D This is a big '91 Sahara which looked ideal for a fuss free cheap & cheerful winter hack. I picked up this dazzlingly retro eyesore from onza100 as a frame, fork, headset, stem & post in pretty good nick... the BB was shot to pieces though so a new UN54 has gone in there. The headset cleaned up fine and the 1" stem and seatpost have been stripped and rattle-canned.

The wheels come from my now sold Marin singlespeed frame (they are STX-RC on Mavic 220s with Halo skewers) and I've treated her to a new 12-28 Shimano cassette & KMC chain, new stainless bolts and new cables. Harryburgundy supplied a nice Deore DX groupset most of which I've used (but the triple crank, pedals, front mech, LH shifter and seatpost clamp are set aside for a more summery build in favour of 400LX cranks, a single FSA 34 tooth ring and Mr Dirt bashguard). I gave the thumbie mounts a bit of spray paint and some new bolts too. The Viscount kevlar saddle and Profile riser bars came with a '98 Hardrock I picked up for spares recently, and the Maxxis tyres, Lizard Skins Moab lock-ons, Wellgo B47 pedals, Brand-X seatpost clamp, Crud Catcher and fake looking Sharkfin were from the parts bin. The totally mismatched bottle cage makes me smile, it's a genuine Saracen item and looks super Fresh Prince IMO.

The photos show it straight out of the workshop and ready for a test & fettle. I just wanted something to bez around on during the winter, be able to lock up in town, and possibly tour in the summer now my Rockhopper has gone to a new home!

33940_10150106500261171_586536170_7930949_2012861_n.jpg

33940_10150106500271171_586536170_7930950_7179065_n.jpg

33940_10150106500281171_586536170_7930953_3381614_n.jpg

Yep I like that a lot. Paint seems in legendary saracen good condition.

DX suits it perfectly, think 1 x 7 may be the way to go over winter.

Thumbs up :cool:

coomber":1st3tmiq said:
Yep I like that a lot. Paint seems in legendary saracen good condition.

DX suits it perfectly, think 1 x 7 may be the way to go over winter.

Thumbs up :cool:

well... just wanted to try out the bash, but it does serve well... it's had a thorough test now (including one classic bail! yes I'm rusty enough to have fallen off it within 2 miles of home - 'new' bikes eh? :oops: ) and it's nice, brakes and bars need a fiddle tho :p saddle a bit ow-ey, other than that s'all good and nice to see some fresh Mcr grime on it! :cool: :LOL:

JediPaddler":fk67v3i9 said:
Sweet! :cool:

You just need a matching shell suit now, it would go a treat with that frame :LOL:

I must admit too that the second I saw the bike I thought...Wagner from the ex factor

but I think that was most of the fun of the 80's early 90's we tried to be more open and more exspressive and rarely saw boundaries

then we got married, got a mortgage, had kids, got divorced, got remarried and everyone went cool looking toned down slick look...I love the 80's me

Back