Is a RestoMod Allowed?

jonmelson

Retro Newbie
In the world of motorcycles it's accepted that classic sports bikes can be brought upto date with more modern suspension, brakes etc but still retain their classic heart.

Is that the case with mtb?!!

I've had this Muddy Fox Titan from new, getting a rear disc mount welded on circa 2001.

Fork is Kona P2 as it's just not worth keeping short suspension forks alive (later forks are just too long and ruin the geometry).

9 speeds across the rear, single front ring on Shimano XT cranks.

Modernish Superstar Components wheels, very modern SLX brakes and extremely modern KTM bar + stem.

Xlite seatpost, Specialized saddle back from the late 90's.

I know it's not TRUE retro as a lot of you guys like them, but I have raced this bike across the last 20yrs so it's had a few concessions to performance.

Acceptable or not?

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_175735.jpg
    IMG_20200805_175735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,442
Re:

The only thing unacceptable about it is the untrimmed brake hoses :)

Looks like a good bike to me!

Re:

Yes, I've got to agree the hoses need a trim. I still have a Specialized Epic frame in the loft which might get built back up for longer races/events so I've kept the brakes at the full length.

The forks were just an eBay find.
I'd been using Fox F32 forks but they're around 465mm long and just didn't work.

The P2 forks came up at the right time and are in good condition, but I think they're plain guage as they're very heavy.

I had toyed with Onza Lite Guy but could only find them with Magura Mounts.

Very nice! Some bikes look nice rebuilt as per factory but it’s got to suit your needs.

I had some onza lite guy forks and foun them very stiff, great for control, bad for any level of comfort! I reckon a Pace RC31 would be perfect for that

Re:

I am still in probationary period on this forum, but for what it’s worth in my opinion it looks ace!

Thats a great bike mate. Made all the more ace by the fact you've ridden it as it was meant to be ridden. Welcome to the forum.

i think it looks amazing and in fact is full of ideas for my about to start dynatech build ,,

Back