1992 Kona Hei Hei

Re:

Thanks a lot Al. Changes still to come are to swap out the rear anodised booster for natural alu but other than a few niggles, it is as intended.

I had to ditch the original 1 1/8 alloy steerer for a steel version, to get the 25.4mm velocity stem in. Believe there is no other alternative on this, due to minimal wall width of alloy before it becomes too thin.

I’d also like to find the original magnesium fork brace for the Mag21SLs, since somewhere along the line they were taken out. The lowers are otherwise immaculate with have original finish.

(original build idea with white magics)

Re:

Romanrinos, have you taken any more pictures of this beauty from the drive side and from the front? - I am looking forward to seeing those lovely XTR M900 parts, which I think work so well with an early Hei Hei.

I've just looked at the weather forecast for down your way today, and there should be a glimpse of sunshine mid morning ;).

Pip.

Re:

I saw the sun come out briefly and was biting at the bit to go out and take some decent photos finally. Unfortunately I was on family duty so didn’t get a chance to grab the camera and find stick!

New weight saving device found with original decal intact.

Special thanks to Raiden73 in his assistance acquiring this 27.2 Ti O-Beam

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of his acquired purchase too :cool: :D

Attachments

• IMG_0643_sized.jpg
    IMG_0643_sized.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 572
Re: Re:

Absolutely stunning looking bike that should ride as good as it looks. Maybe try to find a Ti P2 fork from Ashok.

romanrinos":36nxo34h said:
Certainly is a thing of beauty! And you say you sold it on?

Sadly yes. My days of riding a 150mm zero rise stem are long gone. That stem was plenty stiff enough.

Did Dave Alcock do this inhouse at Surrey during development of the McClaren F1?

The stem was made in the very early 90s, a few years before the McL F1 came out ~ 94 iirc.

Even for a company that regular works in Ti, to undertake something like is impressive.

These were custom one offs and very pricey but there werent any other Ti stems available in the UK back then.

Were drawings produced for it?

Not sure the process of how he made them ( i just gave him precise specs) but the fact that he cross ovalized the tubes shows he had a good understanding of Ti’s properties many years before others developed a similar design. I have two Dean Ti stems but they are really flexy but look great. I use a cross ovalised Roox Ti one now and its great, except i prefer two bar clamp bolts like your Kona and Dean Ti ones for peace of mind.

Attachments

• 1D259119-8135-4B17-8D82-ED417A7FA71C.jpeg
    1D259119-8135-4B17-8D82-ED417A7FA71C.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 466
  • D5ED09B5-D084-4CEF-A0C2-FE3F84DFCC6E.jpeg
    D5ED09B5-D084-4CEF-A0C2-FE3F84DFCC6E.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 466
romanrinos":1zlqjbcj said:
Pic from a New Years ride.

She's a beauty.

I do think she'd look better with a Flite but I know the period correct police won't approve ;) Are the SLs elastomer or refitted with springs?

Back