Mutiple splatter paint kona content, page 18/19 for latest builds

Muddy paw":25uiex5k said:
Sweeet! :cool: as i'm just loving this Spanky especially with the black chainrings and silver crank arms combo as it compliments the front and rear mech beautifully and i just love seeing toe clips on these bikes as imho it just completes the look :cool: ..

Yeah you've got to have toeclips,i had some spare Mt Christophe black leather straps with silver writing to match up with the look of the parts :D

The black rings with the shiny crankarms was the finishing touch for me (cheers retrospud) for helping out with those),only thing is i need to polish the spider part more. They look a bit dull compared to crankarm,but that's easy enough to do.

Re:

A couple of quick pics before the wind blows the bike over :shock:

Fitted the chain today,so i can start setting up the gears now,also i swapped the puny front straddle cable for a SLR one so all the cables match up.
The U-brake is set just need to fine tune the cantilevers (i hate setting them up :LOL: )

It's amazing what you forget you have in the boxes :LOL:
Hunting for something else and stumbled across my Avocet Racing saddle which i'd totally forgot i had,as a added bonus it's stamped 89 on the underside :D so that was cleaned and fitted. Shame the writings not yellow though.
I took the velocity sticker off the stem to see what the bike looks like and i'm not convinced,i've spares so they'll go on.
Not alot left to do now just some fine tuning and stuff like cable ferrels and sticking that SLR sticker down properly,keep forgetting :facepalm: :)

Attachments

• IMAG3257_1.jpg
    IMAG3257_1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMAG3258_1.jpg
    IMAG3258_1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 489
  • IMAG3259_1.jpg
    IMAG3259_1.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 489
Spanky22b":3udi3lqf said:
Yeah you've got to have toeclips,i had some spare Mt Christophe black leather straps with silver writing to match up with the look of the parts :D

The black rings with the shiny crankarms was the finishing touch for me (cheers retrobikeguy for helping out with those),only thing is i need to polish the spider part more. They look a bit dull compared to crankarm,but that's easy enough to do.

Well black Mt Christophe leather straps with the silver writing are definitely the way to go if you can find some as i've not had any since the late 80s as i decided to go strapless for a while :facepalm: :oops: but yes that writing compliments the parts nicely ..

Yes the black and silver crankset combo really is the better choice and i had noticed how the crank arms looked pretty shiny compared to the spider but just thought was down to the light playing tricks again :roll: ..

I thought you had setting up cantilevers down to a fine art mate so it would be easy as pie for you :facepalm: ..

Who cares if the writing isn't yellow on the Avocet Racing saddle as it looks great any way and i didn't think you'd of removed the Velocity stickers off the stem as it had been a while since you 1st mentioned it mate :facepalm: and by the way the next time your thinking of removing stickers to see how it looks just stick a piece of black tape over it to see how it looks 1st before deciding mate ..

Re:

As this Explosif nears completion i thought i'd start work on the other Explosif today.

Everything wasn't to bad removing the parts,just the chainset and bottom bracket put up a real fight.
The big plus point is the frame and forks are structurally sound with no dints cracks or bad rust. I gave all the rust areas a rub down with some wire wool and it's just surface rust,so i'm really happy about that.

I blasted all the inside of the tubes with wd40 and then cleaned everything and gave it a polish.

Attachments

• IMAG3267_1.jpg
    IMAG3267_1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMAG3269_1.jpg
    IMAG3269_1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 426
  • IMAG3268_1.jpg
    IMAG3268_1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMAG3271_1.jpg
    IMAG3271_1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 425
  • IMAG3274_1.jpg
    IMAG3274_1.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 425
  • IMAG3273_1.jpg
    IMAG3273_1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 425
  • IMAG3278_1.jpg
    IMAG3278_1.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 425
  • IMAG3151_1.jpg
    IMAG3151_1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 425
Re:

More pics

Attachments

• IMAG3280_1.jpg
    IMAG3280_1.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMAG3281_1_1.jpg
    IMAG3281_1_1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMAG3281_1_2.jpg
    IMAG3281_1_2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMAG3282_1_1.jpg
    IMAG3282_1_1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 421
  • IMAG3283_1.jpg
    IMAG3283_1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 421
Re:

Before and after i put the Deore XT ll

Attachments

• IMAG3284_1.jpg
    IMAG3284_1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMAG2280_1.jpg
    IMAG2280_1.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 403
Mm looks great and i certainly prefer it with the XT ll and the lower rise stem and toe straps :cool: ..

The second Explosif looks in a similar condition to my Fire Mountain so theirs still hope for mine yet so what have you polished yours with as i was just thinking of using some car wax on mine ..

Muddy paw":148ea09f said:
Mm looks great and i certainly prefer it with the XT ll and the lower rise stem and toe straps :cool: ..

The second Explosif looks in a similar condition to my Fire Mountain so theirs still hope for mine yet so what have you polished yours with as i was just thinking of using some car wax on mine ..

It's got a more racing bike look with the more flatter velocity stem,over the moon with it :D

I always use Morrison's cream cleaner then i put Muc-off miracle shine,i just gave it a quick clean today but normally i'd put multiple coats.
What i've always found with the 89 and 90 Konas they do tend to clean up well,i heard something about it being that the paint is lead based.
Have a look at the 1989 Cindercone i done,that was just using the cream cleaner and polish.

Yes that stem does give it a more racy which is what i prefer tbh so i gotta agree using the flatter Velocity stem was the best choice imvho ..

That Morrisons cream cleaner and Muc-off miracle shine really do make an amazing transformation as your cleanup on the 89 Cindercone produced amazing results :cool: ..

So here is my 89 Fire Mountain that i've yet to sort out as at the moment it's just a mess as i need to sort out gears and replace the wheels and the bar ends are for the bin and i'd got a Velocity stem for it as i prefer the more stretched out look ..

028_zps9fps4rd4.jpg

7a13fdd0-05da-4cbd-a4eb-28168be420b8_zps7nb9ku3j.jpg

Photo-0014_zpsi2zj7zss.jpg

Photo-0015_zpslqwdnefm.jpg

Photo-0017_zps69rejimq.jpg

Re:

I do like the fire mountain it's one of my favourites out of all the splatter paints Kona did,the blue and white go perfect together.

Looking at yours mate that should clean up no bother,using that cream cleaner will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back