C2C : Whitehaven to Tynemouth

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone done this and have any hints and tips if places to stay with bike storage for a group of blokes.
(Coast to coast: Whitehaven to Tynemouth)

Have some friends at work planning on doing it and I said I would ask.

I think the plan is travel there somehow on the Friday and ride a bit and stay in B&Bs.
Planning on finishing on the Monday and travelling back somehow.

They are all coming from Hull area so any hint on cheap ways to get to Whitehaven with bikes and get back from Tynemouth.

Places and costs of B&Bs would be helpful and recommendations of kit to take. Or places to buy new clothes if needed ;-)

Many thanks.

Re:

Firstly, it's the great ride. Did it for the first time back in 2004 over three days in the middle of winter.
It's not a difficult ride and the hills aren't that tough especially if it's done over a few days. Also a bit easier in summer...

The best source of info is probably here:--> http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

It's a very well established route and there are plenty of bike friendly accommodation options. There are also a few companies who offer luggage transfers and vehicle support.
You'll probably find the cheapest option is to hire a van for the weekend and get someone to drive it though.

Re:

As has been said your best bet is to have a non riding mate with a big van.
In some ways the logistics are the hardest part, five of us did this in 2001 I think. We left our cars and a change of riding gear with Stagecoach in Kirby Stephen who then took us to the start in Whitehaven.
We then rode across stopping overnight in Kirby Stephen. Our finish was at Robin Hoods Bay. Stagecoach then collected us and or bikes before returning us to our cars.
There's loads of BB's and Youth Hostels along the way, it's a good idea to book a packed lunch each day though.
Dry clothes for each day that you are riding would be my only other tip. Oh and Sealskin socks were a boon too.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Re:

Taken from one of my threads;

A couple of years ago myself and some work colleagues decided to undertake a team building exercise as part if the Royal Air Force's 'Force Development' initiative. The chosen challenge was the famous Coast 2 Coast Cycle Route (Whitehaven - Tynemouth) 140 miles in 4 days following trails, cycle routes and the odd road section. We did have a support wagon who would meet us at the campsites with tents and rations thus enabling us to carry less enroute and also enjoy the ride. Anyone who's done this route before will know that locals and campsites along the way will go out of their way to help and support cyclists. From providing food, secure storage for the bikes, and local pubs providing some of the nicest ales what more could we ask for. All in all a memorable trip that will stick in my mind as one of the best cycling experiences I've ever had. If you have never undertaken anything like this then you should, go on stick it on your Bucket List!!!!!

Attachments

• 1679610.jpg
    1679610.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 1679613.jpg
    1679613.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 1679614.jpg
    1679614.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 1679617.jpg
    1679617.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 1679622.jpg
    1679622.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,579
  • 1679611.jpg
    1679611.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,579
Re: Re:

Stanhope (steep!) to the east coast is a real blast. Old mining railway tracks with cool
Industrial sculptures littered along the way. Enjoy!

Jussa":35lakrrj said:
Taken from one of my threads;

A couple of years ago myself and some work colleagues decided to undertake a team building exercise as part if the Royal Air Force's 'Force Development' initiative. The chosen challenge was the famous Coast 2 Coast Cycle Route (Whitehaven - Tynemouth) 140 miles in 4 days following trails, cycle routes and the odd road section. We did have a support wagon who would meet us at the campsites with tents and rations thus enabling us to carry less enroute and also enjoy the ride. Anyone who's done this route before will know that locals and campsites along the way will go out of their way to help and support cyclists. From providing food, secure storage for the bikes, and local pubs providing some of the nicest ales what more could we ask for. All in all a memorable trip that will stick in my mind as one of the best cycling experiences I've ever had. If you have never undertaken anything like this then you should, go on stick it on your Bucket List!!!!!

Finished the Off Road coast to coast (as per Tim Woodcock's book) from St. Bees to Robin Hoods Bay last Thursday, it goes lower and is designed to be more 'off road' than the C2C, it was great fun but there was a lot of carrying, hike-a-bike and negotiating miles of boggy moorland. I can highly recommend Fletcher House B&B in Kirby Stephen if you need accommodation there, the Breakfast was fantastic and it's a really delightful little place.

Re:

The offroad is the version I would like to do, dales and moors.

Chris, Dan and Luke and mates have a backup and worked it out. They are doing it soon. :)
I think having a backup van has made it a lot easier but I don't know the technicalities of it.

Five of us rode Whitehaven to Sunderland in a (long) day a couple of years ago. C2C roads and tracks. We had a back-up van with loads of water and bars so needed to carry very little. It was a hot day but no headwind. One of the most rewarding days riding I've had, despite it being 60% road. '91 Cinder Cone never missed a beat, and will be on duty at The Peaks this weekend.
One of those 'pub ideas' that worked, and although never the purpose, ended up raising several K for various charities. Win Win.

Back