Tools & more Tools

Subaloo

Dirt Disciple
Hopefully I'm in the right place, so please forgive me if I'm not.

Having recently joined the Forum I already have two bikes on their way.

I'm going to need , tools, if anyone has a few old cycle tools laying around that they are willing to sell I would be very interested.

My plan is to build from frame, I haven't even got a 10ml spanner due to circumstances. :evil:

So if anyone has a handful to get me on my way I would be very grateful, please include what the tools do :facepalm:

I know tools are a sensitive subject, so advise even on the basics I need would be very helpful.

Many thanks.

Don't buy any cycle specific tools unless there is no other option as they are usually over priced or poor quality, sometimes both. Buy a decent quality (Teng) socket set & torque wrench, set of combination spanners, Allen keys with a ball end, some screw drivers i.e. flat, cross head &/or Phillips as needed & a good quality (Bahco) adjustable spanner.

Re:

Many spanner sets don't include an 8mm spanner you will find one of these helpful, also ( strange advice coming ) buy a cheap and cheerful 3/8 drive set sounds daft I know, but these normally have sockets with thinner walls and will fit the nuts on cotterless chainsets easier (14mm, 9/16, 15mm) covers most. You will also need a good pair of cable cutters too..

Re:

Well tbh i've got a collection of tool's from over the year's which i've acquired from either my Dad or the local Autofactors although i have got a cheapish socket set that was bought for my birthday one year off a Market stall :facepalm: but even though the ratchet died some time ago i replaced it with a Draper branded one and i'm still using it and the socket's after 18 year's ..

Well i've got a decent pair of stanley plier's that also have decent cable cutters intergrated into the head and even though they are looking a bit rough after 20 odd years of use they always do the intended job ..

A word of advice though , don't buy spanners unless you really need them and if you do then don't purchase any that's got made in china on them as they probably won't be to the spec they say on them plus their normally pretty good at breaking under pressure so are a shear waste of money ..

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Many thanks,

Just the sort of advise I needed, such as the thinner walls on the socket sets & you know I never even considered wire cutters, obvious now though.

The Teng tools look great, (not cheap) but I suppose you get what you pay for, also interesting you have added the Torque wrench, I'm sure I was reading some site the other day that mentioned a part and the importance regarding torque, makes sense I suppose ?

Thanks again.

Back