Wanted cash waiting.

safeman13

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Brand new to this, but an old Skool biker.

Desperately wanting to purchase an original Raleigh Rapid 12 from 1983-85 ish. Must be 23-1/2" frame in pearl white, and original or restored to near original. Don't mind needing a rebuild/repaint. As mad as it sounds, up to £1000 for the right bike.

Please take this genuinely.

Thanks

Re:

Hi there,

There are a couple of Raleigh rapides on ebay (not sure about sizes) but what you could do is get one of those and then get in touch with Mario Vaz (based in Hither Green, South East London) who does very affordable resprays. Then it would just be a case of sourcing the decals off ebay.

If you go on the LFGSS forum (that has just been manically re-designed (sorry Velocio, completely threw me!)) you will be able to search for Mario Vaz in the threads. Might also be worth posting this advert there as well. I'm sure retrobike won't mind me mentioning it here as most of the LFGSS lot are on both forums anyway...

All the best

DT

Re:

Hello Richard,

That's the very baby. Is she for sale. Funny looking at the bill of sale I paid £169.99 for mine in 1983!

Thank you for the quick response.

Kind regards,

Martin.

Martin,

Unfortunately, it is not for sale but there are a few out there, I will keep an eye out.

Richard

p.s. Apologies if I built your hopes up!

Re:

Hi Richard,

It's something I hadn't been avidly pursuing, just if one arrived that was right. A few have appeared on eBay of late but wrong size frame. Suppose I can't be overly fussy at them now being over 30 years old. Here's hoping tho.

Thanks again,

Martin.

Re:

Dear Safeman,

I have just been told about this forum to sell my retro Raliegh Rapide, and I see your post.....

I have a totally original Rapide, it is not the white frame, it is the metallic blue, Hi-Tensile Steel and 18-23" printed on the frame. Measuring the bottom bracket to the seat post is 23.5"

It is absolutely original, down to the period brake blocks and pedals with toe clips and straps.
I bought it when I was 16, and have just got it back on the road to start road cycling.
I did need to put new gyres on it but it even had the Originals on it.
All I needed to do was oil the chain (original), tighten the gear levers, fit new gyres and tubes and I have completed a few 15-20Km routes on it.

It has the original white handlebar tape, and considering it is 27 years old, it is in remarkable condition.
I was in a shop today looking to put new tape on it and SPD pedals to ride with my neighbor before splashing out on a new modern bike, so if you are interested please let me know, I will happily send you some photos, and needless to say, if you are interested I will not change any thing on it to keep it original.

I have not researched the pricing, but your budget is way more than I had even considered asking for my bike, I would be very happy if a sale would fund the replacement with a modest spec modern bike. I will PM you my mobile as this would be the best contact route.

It is circa 1986, 12 speed,
Original gearing, levers, even Chain
Original 26" 700c wheels/tyres.
Fitted with Continental Sport II
Original brake blocks,
Original handlebar tape, (white) and in great condition
Original pump
Bottle Carrier - original bottle is missing/lost

All the best
Gary

Re: Re:

gadget2466":czr86fmv said:
Dear Safeman,

I have just been told about this forum to sell my retro Raliegh Rapide, and I see your post.....

I have a totally original Rapide, it is not the white frame, it is the metallic blue, Hi-Tensile Steel and 18-23" printed on the frame. Measuring the bottom bracket to the seat post is 23.5"

It is absolutely original, down to the period brake blocks and pedals with toe clips and straps.
I bought it when I was 16, and have just got it back on the road to start road cycling.
I did need to put new gyres on it but it even had the Originals on it.
All I needed to do was oil the chain (original), tighten the gear levers, fit new gyres and tubes and I have completed a few 15-20Km routes on it.

It has the original white handlebar tape, and considering it is 27 years old, it is in remarkable condition.
I was in a shop today looking to put new tape on it and SPD pedals to ride with my neighbor before splashing out on a new modern bike, so if you are interested please let me know, I will happily send you some photos, and needless to say, if you are interested I will not change any thing on it to keep it original.

I have not researched the pricing, but your budget is way more than I had even considered asking for my bike, I would be very happy if a sale would fund the replacement with a modest spec modern bike. I will PM you my mobile as this would be the best contact route.

It is circa 1986, 12 speed,
Original gearing, levers, even Chain
Original 26" 700c wheels/tyres.
Fitted with Continental Sport II
Original brake blocks,
Original handlebar tape, (white) and in great condition
Original pump
Bottle Carrier - original bottle is missing/lost

All the best
Gary

Pics :? Given the complete lack of feedback i think some sort of evidence is required

Sorry to all for the lack of pictures.

I have only just this second joined the forum. I am way in scotland on Business until friday, but I will gladly post pictures. I am genuine and it is a genuine bike that I am looking to sell. I just didn't expect to see a post saying 'wanted, Raliegh Rapide" !!!

I have PM'd my mobile to the OP so they can contact me, hopefully this is a little evidence that what I have said is genuine and explanation of why I have no feedback, I only joined 5 minutes ago in order to submit my first post - this is my second post........

I had no idea there was a following for vintage bikes.......

All the best
Gary

Ps At 42, I am little beyond childish and pointless un-genuine posts in forums, so have faith and confidence that I am not pulling anyones chain (pardon the pun) ;-)

Back