2001 Marzocchi Bomber identification and restore?

NickGNZ

Retro Newbie
Hey guys,

Does anybody know what model of bombers these are? Have the 2001 on them but no sticker on the rear of the leg like others usually have. Well they probably did!

Also has anybody managed to recover a pair with this sort of corrosion? Wonder if it’s worth it or not! Any tips appreciated!

Cheers!

Nick

Attachments

• 6A17DC68-E31D-4CA8-B170-61163A822A41.jpeg
    6A17DC68-E31D-4CA8-B170-61163A822A41.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 00577E97-B9F1-4348-B45E-28DEE576E2C8.jpeg
    00577E97-B9F1-4348-B45E-28DEE576E2C8.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 602
:shock: I’ve never seen a set that roached before

Where has it been for the past 20yrs down a salt mine ?
The fact they still work speaks volume about the build quality, as for restoration- I think that boat sailed years ago

My guess would be Z1 Drop off, either 110mm or 130mm travel. Very good online manuals, and relatively easy to service. Internals could be ok, despite external appearance, but key will be the condition of the seal seats at the top of the sliders. Won't know that til you strip them down though.

Retro Spud":2xbyvuod said:
:shock: I’ve never seen a set that roached before

Where has it been for the past 20yrs down a salt mine ?
The fact they still work speaks volume about the build quality, as for restoration- I think that boat sailed years ago

Funny, I was thinking it was buried and he found it metal detector, or maybe it washed up on the beach

Yes in quite the state aren't they! I think they are 130mm Drop off Z1s. Will pull them apart and see what what the insides are like. They felt ok before I pulled the rest of the bike apart.

Im all for some patina but this is a little too much haha.

I'm sure the internals are fine. That crown could use some serious sanding (2k grit) and polishing (Mothers). I bet within a half hour you can get them looking respectable again. If not, service & paint.

Re:

It might be a bit fine but if you can get the results with 2k great. Always better to start fine and go down if you have to rather than start coarser than needed. Good luck, you'll probably want it wet and to rinse often. Bucket full of water or a basin would be nice to dip.

Re:

It might be a bit fine but if you can get the results with 2k great. Always better to start fine and go down if you have to rather than start coarser than needed. Good luck, you'll probably want it wet and to rinse often. Bucket full of water or a basin would be nice to dip. Maybe tape the stanchions for protection.

Back