New bike this Christmas?

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone else get a new or new to you bike this Christmas?

I took a second bite at the 29" cherry, last time I didn't get on with it at all.

Liking this one, just needs a full Thomson makeover, replace the 2x10 SLX with 1x11 XT. Rebuild the wheels with Hope pro4 hubs and better brakes!

Everything bar the front hub and brakes are in the loft, so looks like I will be busy for a while :).

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 618
Aye - I got Fruit for Christmas too plus some little used Hope carbon bars for my 2011 P7 modern build.

A project for next year - a 1992 Clockwork

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 616
Re:

I pulled the trigger on a new hardtail, and my first 29er. Here it is:

Attachments

• IMG_30122018_222511_(1280_x_720_pixel).jpg
    IMG_30122018_222511_(1280_x_720_pixel).jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 590
Re:

A friend is looking at getting a new MTB and asked my advice; he was looking at that model Boardman so I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. The last MTB I bought had ye olde 26" wheels and I'm a bit out of touch.

Re:

Got a brand spanking Cube Attain carbon road thing with help from Tesco/Evans.

Will report back when I get chance to ride it!

Re: Re:

xerxes":1t4c4ebq said:
A friend is looking at getting a new MTB and asked my advice; he was looking at that model Boardman so I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. The last MTB I bought had ye olde 26" wheels and I'm a bit out of touch.

I've always run 26" wheels on my MTBs, and I was hesitant about how long the wheelbase is on a 29er, and how unwieldy it might be, but after a maiden ride in the pentlands, at night, I can say that this particular 29er at least is a really sorted bike. I can't say just yet whether it's consistently better at climbing or inherently fast rolling, but I did gain confidence over rocks, drainage ditches and roots especially. All the other components are spot on as well. The 1x11 SLX groupset is great and although the spec 'only' gets Deore level brakes, they're excellent too, once they are scrubbed in. Boardman have moved away from entry level Mavic rims for the wheels, in favour of a Boardman branded tubeless ready rim, and have specced a pair of nice quality vittoria tubeless tyres. I have set up the rear tubeless, completing the setup with gorrila tape, the valve from a tube and Stan's sealant, and it went together very easily. As I ride in muddy Scotland, I've ordered a Vittoria Martello tyre for the front which is a more aggressive tread. I've also fitted a Brand X Ascend XL 170mm dropper post, which just completed the bike. I've ridden with droppers for a while now and not having one on the Boardman was just a pain.
So far, I get the impression that this bike makes a great all-rounder, although I do have a 2009 Orange 5 that I have coveted for a long time.

Not a new bike, but I did get 3 derailleurs which mean I'm going to be able to ride two bikes for the first time (one ever and once since a rebuild).

Re: Re:

Madmax1993":3jedz5rp said:
xerxes":3jedz5rp said:
The 1x11 SLX groupset is great and although the spec 'only' gets Deore level brakes, they're excellent too, once they are scrubbed in.

Deore brakes are the best at that level according to an article I read a few weeks ago, better than the XT apparently (this stopped me upgrading to XT on my 29er and putting the Deores on my Kona, I just bought another set of Deore brakes).

I built the Voodoo Canzo up for my eldest over Xmas. used most parts from his Old Kona Blast Deluxe, except the Forks (Fitted some Revelation RLT's), brakes (fitted the Hayes Stroker Trails off my Kona which is in turn getting Deore), Headset (fitted a cartridge bearing FSA I had left over from my Kona Kula), Stem (fitted a low stack 65mm Sunline V1) and front mech (needed a high band instead of low band).

The Blast frame and Manitou Minute LTD forks will get cleaned serviced (possibly paint the frame) and built up in a year for my next eldest who will likely have outgrown his small Kona hahanna (which in turn will be rebuilt for my daughter).

Picked this up on 22nd. Still being good so not touched it.

Attachments

• 8329ADCC-ACCF-4EB6-936D-5474B6114129.jpeg
    8329ADCC-ACCF-4EB6-936D-5474B6114129.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 420
Back