Bike making clicking noise.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My sons bike is making a clicking sound while being ridden,
I thought it was coming from the crank, so I removed the cranks and bottom bracket, gave them a good clean, and applied grease to threads and tapers when reinstalling the bottom bracket and crank set.
But this has not stopped the clicking sound.
There are no bolts for the chain rings. And everything was tightened properly.
Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this annoying click.
Thanks, Jeff.

Re:

Pedals? Is the noise only there when pedalling (try freewheeling and see if the sound is still there).

Saddle? has happened to me before! (Try pedalling out of the saddle and see if the noise is still there).

Re:

...ah the eternal clicky sounds! Try all of the usual...pedals, seat post, seat rails, freewheel, rear drop outs etc...try riding alongside him as see if you can hear where the click is coming from...

Re:

I read this somewhere, and had to save it. Credit to whoever wrote this little gem.

Tink tink tink tink went the bike.

'Bike?' says I

'Yes?' says the Bike

'What tinks?'

'Dunno' says the Bike

'Is it the BB?'

'No' says the Bike, 'guess again'.

'Not a bloody spoke please!'

'Guess again'

'Chainring bolts? I have my tools' says I.

'Not even close!' says the bike as we pedal onwards, the noise now both perplexing and irritating its owner more and more.

'Oh come on!' says I as the noise gets louder the angrier I get and the harder I pedal.

The bike giggles, nearly throwing me off in the process.

'Stop that!' says I.

'I cant help it' laughs the Bike, 'you're such a bufoon'

Tink tink tink tink...

Muttering darkening oaths in the equally darkening evening sky I stop to put the lights on. I check the Bike over and carry on pedaling.

Tink tink tink tink...

'Agggh!'

<snigger> went the Bike

'Right! Thats it, either you tell me what gives or I'll turn you into a fixie and sell you to some spotty student, no more quality oils for you sonny jim!'

'I am just a bicycle' said the bike 'I am not a sentient being, your anthropomorphizing a collection of nuts and bolts, your idle threats cannot harm me'

Totally stumped for a reply I pedal on...

Tink tink tink tink...

The noise, by now, starts to take on a familiar tone. Tink tink tink. It was coinciding with the left pedal stroke, I coast and the noise stops. I pedal and back comes the inevitable. Tink tink tink...

The Bike is quiet - was that a stifled giggle?

Tink tink tink tink TUNK!

Tunk? I look down, the Bike now vibrating with suppressed mirth, almost sending me into the curb in the process.

And I see it... Despite the gathering gloom, there it is in all of its nylon and cotton glory.

A shoelace. A shoelace bouncing off the new bottle cage every left pedal action...

The Bike explodes in paroxysms of laughter, casting its rider into a nearby hedge.

A bloody shoelace

'Speaking as an engineer' says the Bike

'You git!' Says I brushing bits of Cambridgeshire out of my hair. 'I'll have you for that!'

'No you wont' Says the bike. 'Not if you want to get home in one piece'

'Ah, yes' I say, extracting myself from the hedge cursing all things two wheeled

'ok, shall we be off?'

'Sure, to the Pub then?' says the bike, looking forward to chatting to some of the other bikes there.

'Yeah, why not'

So, as rider and bicycle set off once more, we see the fading red dot of the rear lamp as dusk turns to night, the crows roosting in the far trees framed by a now deep late September dusk...

Tink tink tink tink

'Bastard' says I

<snigger> says the Bike.

Need more info to help narrow it down.
Is it every pedal stroke? just one pedal or both? could be pedals
Is it every couple of pedal strokes? could be chain/ sprockets.
Is it there when freewheeling? could be wheels, hubs or spokes
Is it there only when seated? could be saddle

Try turning the bike over and turning the cranks to try to find the culprit.

Cheers

Mark

Back