Modern flat pedal options

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just pulled my saracen out from the shed which I built up as a commuter/baby seat wearing machine. Seems daft to have spd style pedals on it and sadly I've passed on all of my old retro XT flat pedals.

I'm looking for a cheap but good set to throw on the bike. A £1250 bike u bought last year came with some rubbish plastic ones and having been out of the flat pedal game for some time, wondering what people might recommend?

As the bike won't get used a huge amount, not wanting to spend a lot. The bike is grey with silver finishing kit so silver caged pedals would probably suit best but black wouldn't be the end of the world.

What's your budget?

I really like my Saint pedals, still going strong, cost about £35 nowadays.

Nukeproof Electrons always seem popular, about £20 and loads of colours.

Or DMR/Wellgo V8's, from about a tenner upwards, I've had the Wellgo ones before and liked them a lot.

In agreement with above except the Wellgo bit. I've had one pair of the Wellgo V8 copys and they were shit.

One thing to think about is the footwear you will be using. Flat pedals with pins like all the ones Jimo mentioned are really only good if you are wearing flat soled skate shoes or similar. Insane levels of grip with 5:10 freeriders, but pretty crap with walking boots or grippier trainers. If that is what you are wearing then cage pedals will be better. Loads of options there. And if you are a leather soled shoe kind of guy then commuting pedals would be a better option.

Re:

If you're not too fussed about weight, Wellgo MG1's are pretty much the best combination of everything else.. Mine are 6 years old & still going strong.
The magnesium versions are a liiitle more pricey (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wellgo-MG1-MG ... 1402018328), but one of the best pedals ever made. The Alu ones are lumps, but cheaper..

Do NOT go for the Wellgo/Onza/cheap beartrap/triple trap copies (usually about 10-15 quid) as they are insanely poor bearings and wobble noticably after less than 100 miles.. Wellgo sealed pedals are f*&%in fantastic for the price!
Unfortunately 'decent' pedals seem to start about £25 these days when you take longevity into account.

*quick edit - I should say I don't think that the MG1's are the best pedals per se, I've tried just about every type going; but you want basic for a commuter, not spending 45-50 to withstand rock strikes (though TBH MG1's will do that!).
Wellgo X-1 Mags are insanely good, Azonics aren't, Octane One Alu are heavy but cheap and work well and no longer made it seems..Octane One Nylons need the pins changing.. Superstar are too pricey these days, These: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/well ... -prod85577 also excellent for a more low-profile pedal option - but will tear the soles of tennis/deck shoes etc..but will never slip with walking boots, trainers, 5:10's.
Likewise these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nc-1 ... prod105844 if you like the feel of a concave pedal.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers. Shoe wise, it will probably boil down to whatever I'm wearing at the time (though do have some 5:10 freeriders as it goes).

I bought a set of these to replace the rubbish ones on my airnimal, though only had the opportunity to ride the once as I was made redundant recently so don't commute anymore:

$_12.JPG

Been using the boy's flats on my Sunn for a while now. Spiked pedals are great, but, as has been noted, they're horrible wth anything that has "tread" on the bottom. I have therefore kept my old walking boots, which are now "slicks" and repurposed them as cycling shoes.

Fair weather riding only, though - you get cold toes.

Re:

best looking for me are Acros A-Flat Pedals with 3xx gr
price: ~66€ and with titan 16x€

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 625
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 625
i've always used cage style pedals with toe clips so it wouldn't matter about grip so much but clips are not to every one's liking so some old xt cage style pedals would be the way to go imho ..

Re:

For maximum style points the Syncros Mental pedals. stainless steel construction= indestructible but heavy (really heavy).
For minimum weight I use those AEST magnesium pedals with Ti spindle. Crazy light, reasonably priced but I don't know if they're any good for punishment (I bought them for about 50$ off e-bay so I thought if I ruin them off-road I won't be too sad but I use them mostly on the commuter bikes.)

Attachments

• 778d5aa1258753d894de80a63397768d_full.jpg
    778d5aa1258753d894de80a63397768d_full.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 572
  • AST 172g black.jpg
    AST 172g black.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 572
Back