Shimano M737 cassette compatibility

CountryBob

Retro Newbie
Hi All

I've located a NOS Shimano XT M737 8 speed cassette. I'm intending to buy it as a replacement for a Shimano Acera HG41.

My question is will it fit on my existing freehub body, or will I have to purchase a different one?

Thanks

Bob

Re:

HG41 is 8 speed as is the M737, they will be a straight swap on your freehub. I swapped a M737 and HG51 and didn't even need to trim the gears.

Can I ask how much you are paying? I am about to list a lightly used M737 I have owned from new and am struggling with the price I should ask.

Thanks for advice both. Its £40 (NOS) including postage. I haven't bought it yet. Just seen HG51 new for £13.

Is the M373 THAT much better?

My opinion is that it depends on your freehub body, if it is an exotic/boutique type it will be made of alloy and you need the XT cassette as the cogs sit on an alloy carrier that won't gouge your freehub.

If you have a regular freehub body then lower spec cassettes are fine. There is a little weight saving but skipping that takeaway every now and then will probably save more weight ;).

£40 delivered is a great price for NOS, and if you think one day you might like a Hope/Mavic/DTSwiss wheelset then don't let it get away.

Re:

Of course you could go mid way on price and buy my used M737 for £25 delivered ;)..

I'll give it some thought.

The freehub body I have came as part of the XT hub I purchased 10 years ago. So I presume would that be ok with the M737? (It took me a while to remember I had a better than basic hub!)

Re:

As far as I am aware all XT freehub body's are steel, so the HG51 will not cause any significant damage.

So if your two choices have the same teeth count your only decision is weight v cost v bragging rights v future hub upgrade.

I run Hg51 on both my XT hubs, but only ever run XT cassettes on my Mavic hubs. I recently upgraded my Mavics and went 9 speed XT on the new set, which is why I have a spare M737.

May be a tad behind the curve this one...but looking for Free hub FH-M737.

Fair confused on which, if any, other free-hubs could be used if a FH-M737A cannot be found? (the added 'A' is to be 1996 Shimano precise...it just might affect a suitable alternative/s?) Existing XT 8 spd has mild scored bearing cup.

Any info please please is more than what I know at the moment...do number of wheel spokes come into it as well????

Theres not much about for replacing those freehub bodies. Its best to find the whole hub and go from there. For the M739 8spd version, I replaced mine with a Deore M525 freehub. as it went straight on.

The XT hub has an extra ridge that makes it only compatible with a few bodies.

Also, I have found the M73* series of freehubs to be not that durable either hence the need for replacement when other bodies are happy in their 3rd decade of use.

Latest posts

Back