Re Chinese Titanium Frames

dezza

Retro Guru
Hello,
I have been looking at a Chinese made frame and wonder as to its quality as compared to better known brands.
Any advice would be please welcome.
Thank you,
Steve.

Re:

Can be well made, just depends who
does it and the design. Van Nicolas, and some On One, Cotic are
made in China.

Post a link what you are interested in.

Impurities within the titanium can be an issue with Chinese frames as a lot of it is recycled/reclaimed Titanium. Make sure it's aerospace grade. If it was me I'd rather be looking at a good quality steel frame than a cheap Ti.

Never found a titanium frame I didn't like, but they vary a lot in fun factor. Personally, I don't rate Van Nicholas compared to others I've ridden.

Re:

Even cheap Ti is still relatively expensive so the way I see it is if they are going to the effort of using the material in the first place its in their interest to do a decent job. Steel by comparison is pennies any anyone can join it together, Titanium is a bit different. My gut feeling is that if the size and Geo is what you want then there is a good chance of being happy with the finished product.

Iv got one of the 2010 Saracen Kili Ti frames, not sure where its made (probably far east?) but its beautifully welded and one of my fav riding bikes.

Re:

Thanks for the comments.
The frame and forks are of an unknown make to me but the seller says that they are bespoke from a Chinese production.
Certainly looks good.
Thanks for the comments which are greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Steve.

Re:

Ive never owned a chinese frame and never will. Personally i wouldnt trust anything chinese made, often the quality tends to be poor and the metal cheaper/thinner. i have a friend who had a chinese motorcycle for example, and the quality was awful

Chris

Yes Ti frames made in China are good or top notch depending on the clients requirements. So van nicolas or such will specify top grade material, welded in such a fashion.
Produced for the home/mass export market, where the price is considerably lower, the emphasis isnt on build quality on material specification.
Lower price will mean lower costs, lower costs come about through the latter requirements. Cheap is cheap.
So top notch it wont be.

The ti i ride i think is Russian, maybe Triton or such. I dont feel its any less lovely than any other ti ive seen and tbh when it comes to frames i thik you can buy into the hype of differences only a computer would spot.
Possibly the placebo affect comes into play :?

Re: Re:

Member 10502":xmqm23uo said:
Ive never owned a chinese frame and never will. Personally i wouldnt trust anything chinese made, often the quality tends to be poor and the metal cheaper/thinner. i have a friend who had a chinese motorcycle for example, and the quality was awful

Chris

The Chinese make a wide range of quality of parts, it's just that in this country we choose to import the cheap shit.
I've always been happier with parts I've had made in China than anything I've had made in the UK., this is for volume parts not one-offs.

Re:

Generally (and not just bike related) Most of what comes out of china is a cheap copy of something else, which is the problem cos it creates a bad reputation for their quality. But then china makes the ipod, a product i am very happy with

That said, Would i buy a ti frame from china? No. But then i hear that lynskey frames can also be quite prone to cracking and i think they are american made

Back