Santa Cruz Superlight anyone?

dyson

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

My modern at present is a Cotic Soul. Had it about 3 years now but to be honest I am a smidge disappointed.

It looks lovely, downhill it is fab but on the flat and climbs it is a bit sluggish. It has a lightweight build and I have played with bar widths, stem length, saddle position, seat posts but on some technical climbs especially wet ones it just does not work for me.

So now I have a zippy Kona Pahoehoe I was thinking about a Whyte 19/905 frame and swap my bits over. But then I read about Superlights and my reason for not having full suss (higher maintenance) seemed less of a problem with the single pivot. Plus it builds light and sounds to ride pretty well for what I want.

Anyone got one and can you confirm if they feel xc fast (especially climbing) and fun all round. This is speculative as cash is tight just now but the alloy hardtail option seems a bit too similar to my retrobike option.

So please show off your bike and whet my appetite!

Can't help with the superlight but the Giant Anthem is a great climber and can be found fairly cheap.

Re:

That was my other thought and lots of people have run 120mm forks on them. Test rode one a few years back.too. But a lot of bearings on them still cheaper than a sl

Re:

I've never had a problem with bearings on my trance just lay off the jet washing I guess is the best advice.

Re:

I dont believe fs will climb faster than hardtail.

Save your cash and pedal harder.

Re:

My old superlight not only rode well it looked lovely...

Another good option is a Marin Mount Vision a very underrated bike in my opinion.

al.

Re:

Do like the Marin Mount Visions and plenty about.

When I rode the anthem I did decide against buying one because my then hardtail was just as quick up and I did not feel it offered a massive improvement.

I'm in no rush say plenty of time to think about it.

Re:

I am 'hammering' a Trance uphill that weighs around eight pounds more than my Dragon hardtail, and the traction and 'comfort' just about evens things out. You don't have to be as precise to be as fast, and of course when you get on the downhills the story is very different.

Spiritually I feel much happier on simpler and lighter bikes.

Back