Cotic Bfe 27.5

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Despite pushing a 26 ain't dead campaign, the paying punters are edging towards 27.5 so the Bfe is now 27.5, though a 26er option remains for a bit.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe275

Do you think for this sort of bike 26 or 27.5 is best? In your opinion.

Stanton have the Switchback and Slackline, wonder which will last out...

I noticed the top tube on the Bfe 27.5 is 24mm longer :idea: :?:

Course I still have my 2011 Cotic Bfe 26 just rebuilt with brand new wheels, and I'm sorting some decent 26ers for my DMR, and I've only just put away my 24er! :D so I'll be well out of fashion with my fleet. As a taller legged chap i actually think I'd get on well with a 27.5 for the bigger adventures. Might be a while till I buy a new bike though as I'd need to upgrade everything since I built my Bfe around some forks!

Re:

I am firmly of the belief that 26" is the best wheel size for this kind of bike, for honing about, jumps and drops 26" is where its at. I hope that 26" will continue to survive and thrive so that those that prefer it can continue to use them.

Re: Re:

stevet1":1mkf0p0n said:
I am firmly of the belief that 26" is the best wheel size for this kind of bike, for honing about, jumps and drops 26" is where its at. I hope that 26" will continue to survive and thrive so that those that prefer it can continue to use them.

As you know, the bits of off road riding (mostly locally) of the last few years has ended up being on my 24" DMR Rhythm, so I learnt the wheel size practicality thing the opposite way to trading up! Yes in many ways these 24's are too small but great fun (till you add 2.5kg of tyres - bad outcome on that experiment!).

Using the likes of a Bfe as a fun all round play bike, I feel the 26" will do a great job. I'll keep at least one 26" modern probably 2 or more. Taking one on a long trail ride I think 27.5 could work well to get those miles done and skip over more rocks, course for the size difference theres not a lot in it.

The optimised size thing is interesting though as the design was based around the classic Soul with shorter forks so the long forks is something it can do rather than being optimised for them, the new one seems more thought out for this maybe.

Ultimate of course is just to have loads of bikes. :D Not realistic is it? I have too many already!

Reason they dropped the 26 Soul and before long probably the 26 bfe is all down to what people are buying , most of the trendy I've got to have the latest thing brigade stopped buying 26 so they are just moving according to market demands , pity as we all know 26 is best but the magazines need advertising revenue so plug the latest hype from the big boys which leads the smaller manufacturers to follow suite or die , in a few years time 26 will probably be back (the 29 fad lasted for years didn't it !!!).
Just my opinion btw

Matthews":2rub32wb said:
Reason they dropped the 26 Soul and before long probably the 26 bfe is all down to what people are buying , most of the trendy I've got to have the latest thing brigade stopped buying 26 so they are just moving according to market demands , pity as we all know 26 is best but the magazines need advertising revenue so plug the latest hype from the big boys which leads the smaller manufacturers to follow suite or die , in a few years time 26 will probably be back (the 29 fad lasted for years didn't it !!!).
Just my opinion btw

Yeah, that's right. It would have been nuts for smaller brands to not offer different wheel sizes, I would if I had a company, only problem for them is having to buy smaller batches and understand their stats so they actually sell their stock. I imagine the new Soul is as good as the old one, the Bfe type thing depends what its used for.
At some point I'll try bigger wheels.

Latest posts

Back