Kaffenback anyone...?

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Has anyone got or have any thoughts on the new Planet X Kaffenback 2 at all?

Planet X have been doing some very reasonable 'frame bundle' deals recently so I thought I'd take advantage as I needed another bike.

Photos of bikes always appreciated.

Re:

Well went to the big computer, and found only a couple of other pictures - tend not to carry a camera on my commute, and none them really show the bike.

Can take some more if you'd like. As for the bike, well it's never going to win any races or weight-watchers prizes.

Mine all built up, with sensible rear rack and mudguards is comfortably north of 12kg, but doesn't make much difference when I've chucked my work bags (inc laptop) on it. Handling is what I'd describe as stable, which is ideal for what I use it for. Can get out of the saddle with loaded panniers with no issues on hills if needed.
If you dropped the mudguards you could get some narrow cross tyres not it - limiting point is chain stays behind the BB. I'm running Conti 28's with no issues.

Downsides, it's almost too pretty just to be a hack, there's a bit of a "rust leak" from under the downtube/head tube gusset - though it does get used throughout the year. Colour matching isn't perfect - if you're really picky, there's a very slight difference between the frame and the forks - harder to notice now headset in place.

I got mine as a frame and fork package, and threw a Merlin group-set deal at it, added a Hope headset and Shimano wheel set, had the bars and stem kicking around. I feel sure I could have built it up cheaper (it didn't need 105, Sora/Tiagra would have been fine), but undercut equivilent built up price/spec at the time, and I got to build it up myself. Only thing that's been changes since then is the seat-post (cheapy EA20 one, the head started spinning on the post), and tyres.

Back