Reba bushing replacement - a DIY job?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm trying to make some good from bad after buying a set of less than great rebas (early versions). I've managed to source a set of lowers thanks to a kind donation from a rb member, and these lowers are much tidier than the ones I have. The only drawback is that one upper bushing needs replacing and I'm wondering whether it is possible to source and fit an upper bushing (or two) myself, as the forks are already working out way more expensive than intended.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, tool suggestions, sources of bushings etc to help me make a good set of forks?

Many thanks folks.

yes. I removed the top bushing from Fox lowers so the process will be the same/similar.

I made a puller using a length of threaded bar, M6 or M8, forget which then a washer with filed down flats on oppositie sides so that it is narrow enough to get past the bushing but when at right angles to the bar, is a larger diameter than the hole in the bushing.

Put the breaded bar in vice and use rubber maller to hit the lower to pull the bushing out.

Fitting is the reverse.

The Fox bushing is split and I have read that some fork lowers are tapered so that the bushing can close up to take up the slack and you need to do some accurate measurement to know how far down the lower to fit the bushing. From what I could tell, the Fox bushing fits in one position, there is a step to limit how far down in the lower it goes.

Thanks, I've been googling and found a similar suggestion so that's consensus in my book. Just need to find a washer now as I have the rest. I wonder if a headset press could do the job of pulling it out?

Back