Recommend me a set of hybrid 700c wheels!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

So the set of wheels I have on my winter road hybrid are a bit shit...ok quite a lot shit! Looking to invest in a new wheelset. I am running a 9 speed rear cassette and also 32mm width tyres. So what would be a good wheelset for around the £100-150 mark 2nd hand...Mavic Aksium? Thought on a sturdy but as light as possible set for the money?

Doug

It's your choice. But for something you're just getting the miles in with, it's more important they work than anything else. Put it another way; you'll be considerably less fast if you end up not being able to ride because your wheels are screwed and you can't find the proprietary spokes to fix it.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but they won't make you go that much faster, or make hills all that much easier. Just buy something reliable, and don't worry about wheels again. :)

Aksiums are dreadful. They work fine but the alloy spokes crack and are repalcements hard to source...and pricey. A pal has them and he's got through two rears in 5000 miles - which is irritating as the rims themselves are not worn out.
I'm with Chris667 on this one. You said your bike is a hybrid. The biggest way you can go faster is to get drop bars and go to a more aero position.

Re:

Thanks for the thoughts on the Mavics I'll steer clear of them! As for drop bars...I have tried them but I had 2 problems with them. Firstly I felt less stable/steady when in the drop position and second I suffer from lower back pain and the ride position didn't do it any favours! So I'll have to leave the racer stance out! Thats why I ended up with the Hybrid (see pic attached) although mine has had the original wheels replaced at some time with cheaper ones which are making a bit of noise in the hubs and are a bit egg shaped! Thats why I am thinking of replacing them. Currently I am running 32mm Panaracer Ribmo tyres which are bullet proof! So another question would be what width of rims would suit 32-25mm tyres?

Thanks again for your thoughts so far.

Doug

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 541
Dude those Sputnik rims built to any good hub would see you right for commuting as the sputniks are well made and double eyelets I've built loads of pairs of them up and I promise you there the best rim on the market for what your wanting the wheelset for.

Re: Re:

wookiee":1tbpmwf5 said:
As for drop bars...I have tried them but I had 2 problems with them. Firstly I felt less stable/steady when in the drop position and second I suffer from lower back pain and the ride position didn't do it any favours!

It's worth persisting. Most drop bar setups you see are imitations of pro road bikes and the ride position suits a highly-motivated under 35 who rides 35,000 miles a year as a job and is paid to be in pain. As such they are useless for the rest of us!

For drops the bars need to be higher and closer than flats. Ideally the brake hoods (which you will ride on 90% of the time) will be about the same position or an inch or so forward of the flat bar grips. Also use shallow drop bars - around 130mm ish. Drops are for headwinds, not 70kph 400yd sprints. Bar height is probably slightly lower than saddle height, but only 20-30mm or so for starters.

I reckon drops compared to flat bars is worth 2mph average, just by getting a bit lower and my back a little flatter. I am 48 and have a fairly inflexible lower back, so no extreme riding position.

Back