Orange Five

Rob853

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Thinking about investing in a modern XC full sus. Would be my first proper modern - got a 99 FSR, 96 Litespeed hardtail etc.

I'm a bit of an Orange fanboy so looking at the Five Pro. Anybody got any personal experience with them? I'm drawn to them cos of the simplicity of the design and the fact they haven't changed it for a long time. I'll be doing a Peaks week at least every year, Snowdon, trail centres etc.

Recommendations on wheel size? 650b looks to be the sweet spot.

You can't get a new 26" one any more. I have a 26" 2008 model frame with a Push Tuned RP23 on and it rides great over everything. Not too heavy and running a 150mm Revelation on the front. I love it.

I have a Cannondale Prophet - again like the 5 it is a simple design (some say the 5 is an expensive Prophet, others that the Prophet is a cheap 5) so easy to get on with. It isn't the lightest around but is stiff, easy to service and rides well and can now be had relatively cheap on Ebay

I've had a 2006, a 2009 and currently have a 2014 5 29. Superb bikes, never given me a moments trouble. I also prefer the ride to all other FS I've tried.

650b could be the way to go and I can't wait to try one. Have a look at upgrading the S model before going for the Pro though. I was looking a while back and if you upgrade the wheels, brakes, shock and forks you've got vitually the same bike (except for SLX rear mech instead of XT, and a slightly cheaper Race Face crankset) for over £100 less. I'd even just leave the Deore brakes on as they're ace and save £170. ;)

Back