Tubeless question. Seating tyres without a compressor??

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm a tubeless virgin :D
I've got a Michelin WildGrip R tyre and Mavic XM819 tubeless ready rim.
So the question is, do i need to use tyre sealer and if so where and how much?
Ta ;)

***2nd question,
My rear michelin pumped up perfectly, however the front Nobby Nic is proving to be a royal pain in the *rse to inflate.
Rim tape on, valve fitted, tyre on and no joy with my track pump. I popped to my local petrol station but no joy with there air line either(compressor sounds very dodgy so might not have have a great amount of pressure).
Any handy hints and tips????? :D

Re: Tubeless question

i have both wildgrippers and fire xc pro tyres on 819 rims and have never used sealant.
plenty soapy water when fitting and an airline to inflate them quickly to seat them properly and i have never looked back! :D

i'm 5'11'' and 15 stone and it's never happened.....!
i guess there's always a first time, but the michelins and esp the panaracers are well thick tyres with a good layer of soft rubber inside.....
touch hairy wood i don't eat my words next ride!

I run 819's on one bike and gorrillered DT420's on another , bung some sealant in by popping tyre on and inflating to get both beads seated , deflate and then pop one bead off , pull a bit of the bead out of the rim pour in the sealant and pop it back on , the number of thorns I've pulled out of the tyres over the last couple of years is ridiculous but I've not had to repair a puncture on the trail yet because of the sealant , yes you will still get punctures but they will self seal if you have sealant in whereas they probably won't without, welcome to the flat free and low pressure world of tubeless .
Matthew

I've managed to make my front tubeless ready but i can't pump the bugger up!!!
**See 1st post for more details** :D

No1 son decided tubeless was a great idea some while ago, only trouble was.......

We ended up with a two man system using an old 1.5ltr fizzy drink bottle as an air reservoir.

Basically you take an old pop bottle and fit two valve bodies into the cap. One body you leave open, the other you put a valve into. The valved body is connected to the track pump, the other has a length of hose fitted to it.

Take your wheel, and remove the valve from the valve body, fit the open pipe from the pop bottle. Obviously these all have to be a reasonably tight fit.

Now, kink the tube from the pop bottle to the wheel, to prevent air getting through, and using your track pump, put about 60 to 70 psi into the pop bottle, then pumping like a mad man get your assistant to release the kink in the feed pipe to let all the air go in a bang.

You may need to repeat this a couple of times to get the beads right up onto the wheel, and if you are using sealant, it will be hissing and dribbling all over the place, but we have used this on a goodly number of occasions to get the beads up onto the rim.

By contrast, when we fitted tubeless tyres onto tubeless rims on his 29'er, it was no more difficult than pumping up a tube.

Latest posts

Back