Disc brake adjustment...going mad!!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

After a little help or guidance on how to set up disc brakes properly...Heres my problem. Front brake gives me no problems, rear I just can't stop rubbing and its driving me mad! I've been searching online and I've tried the "loosen off caliper, pull brake lever hold and re tighten" and that worked on the front but no the rear! I have also tried setting it by eye and leaving an even spacing between pads and disc. Whilst this works with the wheels spinning in my bike stand, as soon as I ride it it starts rubbing again! the pads look to have a good amount of life left in them although the gap either side of the rotor is minimal...

Could it be the hub/wheel flexing moving the rotor into the pads? Or is it that the pistons pushing the pad into the rotor are set too close? I've also tried pushing the pads more "open" with a flat screwdriver. Would an oil change help?

I am new to disc brakes I've only had them for 9 months and finding them a real faff! Never had this trouble with my Vees!

Oh btw the brakes are Shimano XT levers and calipers...

Any help/suggestions gratefully received!

Wook

I just moved onto discs recently and had a similar problem. In the end I cut my losses and took it to a shop. The washers were wrongly spaced. Since then not a problem. Felt like a bit of a fool but the guy said is pretty common and easy to overlook if you aren't used to them.

The washers between the caliper and the post to IS adapter so it was leaving the caliper at slightly the wrong angle.

Ah ok...possible...Just want to get my head round disc brakes so I can sort them myself! Only been rubbing for the last month or so had them for 4 months with no worries....

To be honest I don't really understand them :oops:

I just hope they keep going and adjust them with the brake lever and tighten technique occasionally.

Ha Taz respect to your honesty! I'm in the same boat! Love the stopping power but finding them the trickiest part of my ride to set up! :roll:

Same here. I'll loosen and tighten the bolts a bit to move the calipers around, I'll change the pads and I'll happily straighten the discs, but apart from that I really don't want anything to do with disc brakes.
As long as they don't improve the ease of maintenance, this technology really isn't fit for use on consumer bicycles.

So when you set it up by eye there is a clear gap between either side of the rotor when in stand? Have you set it up like this and pulled the brake a few times like this when in stand?

cyfa2809":28hcscz1 said:
So when you set it up by eye there is a clear gap between either side of the rotor when in stand? Have you set it up like this and pulled the brake a few times like this when in stand?

Its hard to see from both sides of the pads (above and below) but from what I can see yes, and yes pulled the lever in the stand many times. Still runs free in the stand but then when ridden it rubs! What sort of clearance should I be looking for either side of the rotor at the mo its 1mm 2 at the most...

Back