Brooks saddles, show and tell.

saltyman

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Tried a few over the past couple of years, special Ti models, swallows, B17s etc.

Never kept hold of one though.

Now I'm tempted to try again, a broader type for my broader ass, so want to know folks choices and experiences, seeing as they ain't cheap.

I fancy something for my badboy, always run as a cardio/commuting bike.

One for my pugsley, prone to all conditions, though seat will be protected by guards.

Also, one for the moonlander.

Let me know what you guys swear by, new or old?

Cheers.

B72 is my favourite as fitted to my Schwinn. They are a four rail saddle though so you will need to look at seatpost compatability. Single bolt seatposts can be used with a Joe Breeze designed adaptor. These can be found on eBay for around a tenner.

Remember, no Brooks is completely comfortable for the first 600-700 miles. After that point they get better over time.

Mine have been new or little miles, is it worth getting a second hand or moulding to my own ass?

saltyman":fcpdimux said:
Mine have been new or little miles, is it worth getting a second hand or moulding to my own ass?

Well the best Brooks I've ever had was the one I fitted to the Schwinn first time round. It was date stamped 1975 and was really tatty and well used. Sadly I managed to rip the cover off whilst lifting the bike into the van such is the weight of the old bastard.
Maybe the original owner had a similar sized arse but it did fit like a glove. Maybe worth a shot?

One old roady I know says there is a way of breaking them in quicker. It involved soaking overnight in a strange brew of hide food, pig fat and lanolin and then warming in the oven at 80 degrees for 40 minutes. You then need to get it on the bike whilst still hot and dripping in goop, then ride for an hour. He said that was the trick for breaking in saddles for spare bikes he used on the Milk race in the 70's.

I've never tried it mind, so be careful of ruining an expensive saddle.

:shock: I can think of a couple of other things he might want to be careful of using that method..

Ye I had a Colt - the super thick touring classic. I got it second hand but it was hardly used and hard as ****. Rode it for a year or two - no Idea how far but guessing about 600 miles. Applied the proofhide fairly regularly. Never did the slightest bit other than re-mosturise the leather to stop it cracking.

After all this time I got fed up and decided to try soaking it in oil as many people including Sheldon and John Allen suggest. Chose motor oil suggested by a John Allen associate, just because it was the only Oil I had apart from olive oil. Soaked it overnight. Surprise surprise it stunk like a dead cat for a while but I rubbed olive oil in after to try and give it a better smell!

Didn't do very much though! Was softer but still did not 'break in' even after another 100miles or so. Finally gave up and sold it.

I think the oil soaking route is a good idea. The only issue is that it darkens the leather considerably, so if you have a nice honey coloured saddle, don't do it! Maybe 2 days is better? The oven idea sounds a bit dodgy though.

I always hated the look of the brooks saddles but lately the quality has been making me hanker for one!

Are they really that good? (over other saddles).
Or are they that good at specific strains of cycling? i.e touring.

Also, i have always thought the wives tale is that a normal bar of soap will soften leather up?

first things first brooks are a saddle the rest are mere seats,
ive used a b17 for about 3 yrs now at first I back the tension right off and applied proof hide, I then rode it for a day in the rain it then turned into a baggy mess I then left it somewhere cool and dry for a couple of days and re proofed it the result was it had slight indentations where my arse had been, I continued to ride it loose for about 4/500 mls and now 2000mls later its an arse hamock I cant stress how comfy this saddle is the longer the day the better it gets, on the same note we tried the process with a new black standard b17 saddle (mines a green special) and this didnt work even with saddlers neatsfoot oil its like bark however he's done about 500mls and says its getting softer and comfy.
Of all the saddles ive used over the years the b17 is for me even if they are a tad overweight and the regular cleaning and proofing is outwayed by the shear comfort.
Lee.
IMAG0518.jpg

2008 b17 special green
1978 b17 brown
19?? swallow brown

Back