dumb ass bb question

MAXTHEROTTI

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all
i have a race face fr signature isis bb
its a 68 x 113 as was told thats what a race face turbine needs

now im used to older type bb,s where the cups screw all the way into the frame however on this one they dont!!!!

so once its installed i have approx 5 or 6mm of shell showing still

so my question is do i put the drive side flush and have the excess on non drive side or as i have it now with even amounts both sides??

reason for asking is i cant get a clean shift on my front mech and getting onto big ring is proving well hard lol

Thanks Rob

From the 3 or 4 experiences I have had with ISIS bb's, the cups should fit flush in the bb shell...

my old truvativ gigapipe bb was a 68 or 73mm shell one
came with a spacer :cool:
grab a spacer or 2 :cool:

how would a spacer help???

also i should add that the bb is the cartridge bearing type and when i put the bb next to shell on frame it wont go fully in with no threads exposed as it hits the bearing stops on the cups

Rob

you should have two cups? one with a lip on it and one without? the lipped one is the drive side one, now depending on your bb shell size? 68mm or 73mm? if 68mm you use a spacer, if 73mm you dont, stick the none drive cup in a few turns, then stick the bb in and the drive side cup in which should be tighten up fully home against the bb shell, so it will be flush with no threads showing, then tighted up the other side till it hits the bearings and then tighten it to the correct torque setting?
I have both sizes of bb shell and on both bikes I dont have any threads showing on the none drive side, just a mm of the the cup showing

ahhh thats because yours is designed to allow you to adjust the chainline!
as your struggling to get the big ring! loosen the none drive cup a couple of turns, then tighten up the drive side to take up the slack and move the chainline more inwards, keep doing it till your problem is solved :)
when you say the cups bottom out on the bearings! their meant to! as they clamp the bb on place and stop it moveing
when you torque up the shells thats it! job done, no lock nuts needed!
and I did read on one of the write ups that the fr/dh version is available with a wider spindle? so you could be screwed still :)

Adjustable cups fit 68 and 73mm shells and allows adjustability of the chainline.

Sizes: 113 mm
Shell Compatibility: 68 & 73mm (adjustable)

Back