Not all independent shops are good

skyhawk

Dirt Disciple
When I lived in Tavistock I took my bike to the local shop.

It fitted a new chain for me, then without using the bike we moved to Wales.

Three years later I take it into Halfords Carmarthen (yesterday), and get a call today, "Just to let you know the chain is the wrong one for your bike it is too short and will not go into the high gears".

Thanks Halfords

mkone":1wf58fzj said:
so what was the bike shop called?

It was before the owners now, who have taken over, Tavistock Cycles.

It was a shame because I bought £3000 worth of bikes from him, the old owner and I never thought I was getting afir deal but was so new to it all

I also know I was sold a frame too large for me but didn't "know" this until two years later when someone in a cycle club told me I should have one two sizes smaller at 5' 8"

Never mind

Re:

Yeah, it's the same when you buy anything unfortunately, it would be nice if you could trust people to be honest & be truthful with you but it rarely happens, especially where money is involved!
The best thing is to research everything so at least you have some knowledge & I wouldn't get to hung up on Halfords either tbh in my experience they are as bad as anyone & their not all that good with bikes either!

I agree, I have had some real wasted money there also

They fitted a new inner tube in Plymouth, I went home, got in the driveway actually JUST pulled in and it exploded ;)

They didn't believe me until I played the dashcam back.

I'd agree with you 100% there, there are a number of shops that just dont seem to cut it.
More into selling you something you dont need or misinforming you as to whether something is fixable or needs wholly replaced.
I'm lucky I've this chap to go to for the past 20 odd years. So im lucky in that he'll lend me his tools.....which ive then though would benefit from a nice ebony turned handle, so machined his tools to fit them, then returned ...oh by the way, i just.... :LOL: :oops:. As professional as it gets and was on the Olympic cycling team mechanics
http://www.bicyclerepair.co.uk/about.htm

Wheels I go to this guy - Also knows his onions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3vlMwKxp8

The local roadie clubs will all have one or two mechanics they use. Try to find those shops which you may have to travel to see, but quality work is always passed on word of mouth amongst roadies.

My single experience of halfords is the removed a chris king top race, with a fking screwdriver, snapping off a bit to service my bomber forks, which they barely did, but reassembled without adding the top circlip and wrecked them first run out.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 666
mechanicalvandal":1pffhz59 said:
skyhawk":1pffhz59 said:
...I take it into Halfords...

I say this as an ex Halfords employee,

Get a second opinion.
:D
Halfords was the most consistently poor bike shop i have ever had to deal with. EVERY shop i've ever worked in has had to regularly fix halfords f**k ups.

Yes, some IBDs are poor, the sooner they go out of business the better. (Either that or employ a mechanic who knows which way round a spanner goes.)

Latest posts

Back