Retro crank for commuter

wassertreter

Devout Dirtbag
Built myself a bike on this same frame https://www.flickr.com/photos/paste/2692629464 (not my flickr).

Quite perfect for commuting with its mid-range brakes making room for fenders. Only missing a crank at this point. I'm running 1x10 with a downtube shifter, my commute is quite flat, but often pulling kids in a trailer etc.

175mm length mandatory.

First preference would be a fluted pista crank but they are few and far between, especially at 175mm. Also quite dear.
Second choice a fluted 2x crank like the IRD Defiant I can run with a shorter BB to get a reasonable chainline.
Or if nothing work, I'll take any silver crank that fits halfway, it's only commuting after all (still the bike I ride the most so i'm quite keen on it).

In case I find a pista one, are there 144bcd chainrings for 10x chains available? Haven't found anything obvious.

But anyway maybe I should just use Surly Steel rings, wore out 2 rings last winter. That would rule out 144bcd.

So many options. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Re:

TA make 10 speed chainrings in 144 bcd ;)

I have a Silstar crank that fits the fluted criteria ;)

But alas only 170mm :(

Most NW rings seem to be 110pcd for standard 5x drillings. I would also favour square taper BB as they still last longer - important on a commuter
IIRC Velo Orange do a repro crank in 110, also there are some old Suginos like that. Failing that I'd buy an MTB 110 pcd crank (say old M730, M650 or M550) and polish it up.

Re:

@hamster yup, square taper for sure, anyway seems to be what all the vintage cranks are using, and lends itself nicely to chainline tweaks when using a 2x crankset in 1x mode.

This brings me to another question. Is it possible to use an "inner" chainring in the outer position for a 1x setup? Don't need the top-end gear for commuting, prefer lower ratio for hauling, but would prefer outer position for aesthetic reasons.

I have never had any problem - the lack of the shallow counterbore for the head of the bolt never seems to be a problem for me - as you say, adjusting the BB length allows chainline tweaking. I'm currently running a Superstar NW 110 ring exactly like that on a Middleburn crank with 103mm BB on my singlespeed. It;s run all winter and hasn't loosened.

Re:

Thanks again.
Found a Campy Super Record crankset at a quite good price (mid double figures).

Anyone know off hand if this is JIS or ISO taper?

Attachments

• csr.png
    csr.png
    100 KB · Views: 702
They are neither and both taper! At that age they were before standardisation but for something somewhat in between. Probably the amount of distortion they have suffered is the deciding factor. Try them on Shimano and see if they go a decent way onto the taper. The taper angle is the same on all of them as far as I know.

Re:

Ok well almost sorted, including chainring.

But what chainring bolts are the right ones? There are so many I didn't realise.

Thanks.

Re:

Ouch the crank arms slide onto the JIS taper 2/3rds of the way only. Looks like i might have to slightly mill the taper.

Back