98 Kilauea size 19

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
You very rarely see 98 Kilaueas on eBay, but here's one. And I had never seen one in the metal before, but by coincidence saw one yesterday while I was out running on the Brighton/Hove prom, looked nicer than this one, size 16. Couldn't stop of course, it's just not done, we were doing 10k.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0295280173

Somebody suggested the other day it was maybe just the frames sold as frame-only that had blue decals, but this one was bought as a bike in 98 and it has blue decals. I wonder whether they ever actually made any with the red decals shown in the catalogue. Has anybody ever seen one ?

Attachments

• 1998 Kilauea catalogue.jpg
    1998 Kilauea catalogue.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 549
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Perhaps they realised it looked better with blue and thought better of the red ones? I must say I quite like that mustard/blue combination, thought it was minging when I first saw it though!

It seems unlikely that they would sticker the frame only options seperately from the complete bike option at the factory- surely it'd make more sense just to keep them all the same?

Geoff":13kp4atv said:
Perhaps they realised it looked better with blue and thought better of the red ones? I must say I quite like that mustard/blue combination, thought it was minging when I first saw it though!
It seems unlikely that they would sticker the frame only options seperately from the complete bike option at the factory- surely it'd make more sense just to keep them all the same?
Yes, I'm sure you're right, but you never know, just thought it was worth asking.

At the time the range came out, I thought it was so boudoir that they must be trying to kill the Kilauea off. I remember it put me in mind of 'Whom the Gods would destroy, first they make ridiculous.' Well, it's all Greek to me. But funnily enough I now quite like the mustard and red colour scheme that never was, even though I can see that mustard and blue is more manly.

Back