Kona Kilauea 1994 F&F

tiboltrider":2r5ciiwh said:
Trebz":2r5ciiwh said:
I'm building my 1994 Kilauea now coincidentally. Silver as well.

Sell it now! You could get a Hei Hei instead! :shock:

The frame and fork have been sat in my loft for three years hehe

Re:

coincidentally i was just mentioning this frame on another post.
Too good to be true? I studied the ebay pics closely, very closely indeed as i was tempted to bid. There are fakes around and you have to be so careful. Def a Kilauea frame in correct colour but then some clues.. Looks like earlier type fork (dropouts!). Headset, seatclamp, chainstay protector not original kona. I wrote to the seller asking about fork length and paint originality, he answered the fork question but completely ignored the paint question (another clue!). I wrote again. This time he answered saying he isn't the original owner and couldn't verify original paint or not but "if it has been resprayed then it's a very good job". Hmmm a non-committal answer (another clue). He said he removed the Tange label to put onto his Explosif (hmmm?), so i'm thinking ok this guy is clearly into Konas yet seemingly can't tell the difference between original thin transfers under laquer versus much thicker aftermarket vinyl. Hmmmm..
Looking again at one of the pics i could view a decal from an obtuse angle and it looked very much like visible relief (thick vinyl sticker).
I really wanted it but in light of the evasive answers and physical clues i decided against bidding (at which time the bidding was GBP120 with several days to run).

GBP400+ is a LOT of money for such a frame, the bidder obviously expects a factory original frame in superb condition. I hope that's what he/she got but i'm not so sure.

Re:

Totally agree, I'd be willing to bet it is a respray

As well as some of the points mentioned above, the "Kilauea" decal on the non drive side seems very poorly placed. It seems to sit directly in the path the rear brake cable would take. Looking even closer I'm not convinced the color of the decals is correct either.

A near mint '94 Kilauea could sell for a considerable amount (and to a collector perhaps no price is too high) but for a respray? A respray would go for a fraction of that price, in fact it would take away from the value IMO. The seller does a good job skirting the subject of paint. I would be livid if I thought I was getting an original and it turned out to be a respray.

Back