"Severely weight optimized"????? - sounds dangerous to me

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes, you are referring to the bike I previously highlighted as an S.O.T.M (Shanner of The Month)!

The guy is a complete loon. These are really just shit gas pipe steel frames with holes cut in them. Presumably the weight of an old shanner like this was too much for the poor boy, and took the Dremel to it.

As they say, there's no accounting for taste :facepalm:

Re:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!

I seem to recall seeing something of a similar nature based on a Orbit mtb frame, where the rear mech drop out had been hacked off and holes had been drilled in the end of the handlebars (under the grips). If it is the same guy, then he just takes frames / bikes and wrecks them.

I just got a message back from him, after pointing out that excessive drilling / milling of vital frame areas like the head lugs and bottom bracket might be Health and Safety issues for a potentialbuyer..

'I'm not interested in your comments, my bikes are works of art'. He says.

Pip pip old chap!

Grease Monkey":1nz6s1mj said:
'I'm not interested in your comments, my bikes are works of art'. He says.
Well if the state of the drilling on that cable guide is anything to go by, he's a cr@p artist.

If someone comes a cropper on one of his "works of art" then he'll soon have to be interested in other people's opinions.
Does anyone know what the legal position is on selling dangerously modified bikes?

Mark.

Re:

I love the idea of weight optimisation and then powder coating the seat post 'cos that's the lightweight option. Also I wonder if he's considered the fact that the post now won't fit the frame.

He talks about 'ovalise-ing of tube/ reducing wall thickness slightly along triple butting principles and drilling' but all I see is wonky drilling which he explains 'as a lot of "fatto a mano", (made by hand) as one of my fabricators at Bertone/ Torino/ in Italy used to tell me, when the drillings would witness a slight irregularity'.
I always thought 'man fat' was another thing created by hand...

EDIT: just seen that the seatpost slips in the seattube without even as much as a push according to the 7th pic, maybe he compensated for the paint by buying a post a cm too small

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back