Not open for further replies.

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
The Hill Billy Epic.

As a follow up to the 'Gates' ride I am planning a ride on my new patch. Promises plenty of climbing with an elevation gain of 1,100 feet. So epic is this ride that you will notice the changes in local geology! Some of the route is on the ancient Icknield Way and takes you over Deacon Hill which is the highest point for miles. Promising a good pub stop and good company please register your interest so I can send you the meeting point details. The ride will take at least 6 hours with a pub stop and will be about 28 miles in length. You will need a bike with low gearing as there are a couple of long steady climbs. Ride starts from Stotfold, Bedfordshire. As a little teaser here are some photos I took on the route.

9:30am for faffing/tea/bacon sarnies
10:30am 'ish start

Attachments

• 20130701_105316-w1024-h768.jpg
    20130701_105316-w1024-h768.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 1,989
  • 20130701_101229-w1024-h768.jpg
    20130701_101229-w1024-h768.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,989
  • elevate_me.PNG
    elevate_me.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,926
  • map.PNG
    map.PNG
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,926
Sign me up.
I just happened to be walking on the Icknield Way near Newmarket at the weekend, didn't realise it went quite that far!

Heading out to look at a few route amendments. One of the downhill bits is scary fast with big drainage ruts on the fastest part. Don't want to injure anyone so looking for a safer alternative. May add a couple of miles to the route though ... :)

Edit: That went well, the revised route is better balanced. Taken away the sudden lose of height and replaced it with a gentler downhill that goes on for ever. Deffo exploring bits of the countryside I have never been to before, which is fun. The climbs are not that steep but they do go on, and on, and on. Will need to check out the pub stop as I haven't been there for a long time, such a hard job this ride planning!

Edit Edit: First choice pub checked out - very good food at a reasonable price. The other pub is at the top of the long downhill and this one is at the bottom. Downside is that there is a climb straight afterwards. One of those lunch threatening to make a reappearance climbs.

Attachments

• map.PNG
    map.PNG
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,819
Forgot to mention some of the points of interest to be found on this route.

The birthplace of Henry Bessemer.

The birthplace of my Mother in law.

The recently completed Network rail Hitchin fly-over.

Victoria Pendleton's gold Olympic post box.

The site of a plane crash that caused the first two casualties in active service of the Royal Flying Corp.

Why do people always organize interesting stuff when I'm otherwise engaged....... :evil:

jango":15kzv9c7 said:
Why do people always organize interesting stuff when I'm otherwise engaged....... :evil:

I could always do a special one just for you ... as I am now just down the road from you. Could do it one evening if we set off early enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back