FreeTown Sports in Hull: Bust?

srands

Retro Guru
Freetown Sports in Hull, 1 of the cities biggest independent cycle shops, has apparently gone bust.

I don't know if this is true? :?

Anybody have more credible information?

It seems so, i drove by yesterday for a look and all of the shutters were closed so quite possibly!

Second company round here to go pop this week, godfrey autoparts (where i did work) went into administration on tuesday as well!

Re:

Wow it was that long ago, shows how often I don't go in town then lol.
Shame as that place had been there years, I always remember going in to drool over the oranges and the pace bikes they had when they were new, all the staff had changed over the years but I actually went for an interview there when (I think) jason was the manager!

big shop, hgih overheads and a city full of internet shoppers. shame but it wasnt as good a shop as it used to be.lets hope the others dont follow suite

Re:

Sad news, I used to visit Hull a fair old bit on family trips as a kid and recall all of the orange bikes being lined up in a row. I particularly remember when the skinny '93 range arrived and I went around lifting them up, I couldn't believe how light they were at the time (compared with my 30-odd lb lump that I owned)

Hopefully there will be another nice LBS resurrected in the future, fingers crossed. No city of culture should be without 'em in my opinion... :)

There are plenty of other bike shops, but none where the 'high end'.
When I went in they seemed to big for what they had and didn't seem to have moved with the times, yes they still had the bling, but in my eyes anyone wanting bling would know what they want and get it of the internet. That and it was just in a dead part of town now.
I can tell you if they moved it to say Anlaby Retail park it would have a much higher footfall in there, with a larger density of the richer population around them.

They where better when they where in the small shop on Freetown way, can't remember when they moved but must have been mid 90s as I don't ever remember going in to the new place, so would have been away from Hull then.
I also remember saying no to racing under their name as I didn't want to have their big stickers on my bike.

oh and it would have been their 25th anniversary come the summer.

Back