Front forks for 1988 Stumpy - found thanks to 16vGTI

J and B's dad

Retro Newbie
Dear retrobikers,

I've been enjoying the enthusiasm, humour, general helpfulness and terrific knowledge on the board as a mere observer. Until now. Having been retrobiking vicariously I've finally taken the plunge and am now the happy owner of a rather nice 1988 Stumpjumper. However, it currently has some not so hot front suspension and I would very much like to return it to it's fully rigid glory.

It's of the red and white persuasion so I'm after some rigid white forks, as these were the colour on it originally. They need to have a 1" threaded steering tube. The bike has a 110mm head tube (19.5" frame) to give an idea of steering tube/thread length required. In an ideal world they'd be Specialized and of the right type of vintage/spec/colour (but beggars and newbies probably shouldn't be overly choosy) - and I appreciate there probably aren't too many about so I'm very open to suggestions.

To clarify, I'm open to other colours/brands of equivalent (or near) quality.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

All best wishes,

J and B's dad.

Re: Front forks suitable for 1988 Stumpjumper any colour/make

Hi - great choice!! I was tempted to bid myself but already have too many so common sense prevailed!

These forks are on ebay USA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Special ... SwiDFYRHl5

I'm not sure how much you want to spend but postage is reasonable & he's open to offers so may be worth asking?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks for the heads-up, 16vGTI, that's a good spot - right colour and length. I'll see what he thinks about overseas shipping. Might be cost prohibitive but you never know.

Cheers

It's showing as £19.24 to post to the UK with no additional import charges so not too bad.

16vGTI":22rnyzh7 said:
It's showing as £19.24 to post to the UK with no additional import charges so not too bad.

Dear 16vGTI,

I took the plunge and purchased the forks. I made an offer initially but the reasonable BIN and relative scarcity of the item - correct colour, size, vintage and make, no less - were too much to resist. With a little bit of cosmetic work it should really help to complete the bike. I'm indebted to your sleuth like skills in spotting this, so thank you very much. I hope to be able to return the favour some time.

Best wishes

J and B's dad.

Back