After some atechnical advise - Modern wheel hub

keithyr

MacRetro Rider
thought i would call on the knowledge in here.

came back form holiday to find the xt hub on rear wheel of my zaskar has seized (looks like heat in hut over the weekend)

when you tighten the skewer in the dropouts the wheel is stuck. When wheel is off the bike the cassette spins freely.

any thoughts/solutions - or is it a new wheel ?

Strange one, for the bearings to expand that much the heat inside the hut must have reached 1200 degrees :LOL:

Honestly never known static heat (unless extreme like from a blowtorch) to have that much of an effect on bearings, as TinTin suggests i'd whip the cassette off and the axle out to check the bearings before buying a new hub.

Another thought, is the cassette catching the frame in anyway ?, maybe the lockring slackened off ?

hmm will have a look again, the lock ring was loose but couldnt see it catching frame.

i had a look last night and the xt hub now sounds like a hope one with ticking bearings etc and there was what lookeed like oil/grease on the skewer where it was inside the axle.

hmm will have a look again, the lock ring was loose but couldnt see it catching frame.

i had a look last night and the xt hub now sounds like a hope one with ticking bearings etc and there was what lookeed like oil/grease on the skewer where it was inside the axle.

Latest posts

Back